Quick question about 056 SEM module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just pulled the flywheel to figure out why my kill switch did not work. Turns out the thin black lead (short circuit wire) came unplugged from the spade connector on the back of the module. No problem there.

My real question is: on the high tension lead (spark plug lead) coming out of the module, it has a rubber boot on it and the wire feels loose. Is thiis wire removable? Basically, does it push in or out, twist in or out, not made to be removed, etc?

My IPL does show a separate part number for the spark plug wire and the boot (at the module not the spark plug end). So I want to make sure it is removabe before I do something stupid like try to twist or remove the wire when it's not supposed to be. If twisting is not the way it works then how does it come off (if it comes off). Thanks, KD

Last edited:
Dayam, that was fast! Thanks Lakeside, I assume it has a pin inside the socket that the wire twists onto like some spark plug boots? Thanks KD

yep. Make sure you use the correct size wire -just buy it from a stihl dealer - hard to find elsewhere.

Last edited:
OK, done deal. Lefty loosey=off.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, the module mounting holes are slotted. Does this mean the slots are there to provide a means to change timing? I noticed my module is mounted so the mounting screws are all the way to the left side of the slots-in other words the module is turned clockwise till the mounting screws prevent it from turning anymore clockwise. Thanks again, KD

OK, thanks, I did mark the module and housing with a dab of paint so I can get it back to it's original location. I was just being curious which usually gets me into trouble. Thanks, KD

look carefully around the upper left mount screw - you should see the "strike mark" Dan talked about.

Clean and degrease the screws (and holes), and put them back in with blue loctite

Found it. Exactly where Lakeside said it was. So this module was mounted slightly off of the factory mark. It does appear thet someone has been here before me... It's kind of a faint mark, but I see it.

Gonna put it back using the stamped marks and not my paint mark. Thanks, KD

Latest posts

Back