Quick question regarding cut direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your starting cut will have the least amount of grain runout if you cut parallel to the outside of the tree. However, as you make subsequent cuts, you will either start getting more and more runout, or will have to sacrifice a board and adjust. I like to make all of my cuts parallel to the pith, but the outermost boards sometimes have a lot of runout.

I always cut square to the heart center. The boards to the outside of the log are always lower quality IMO. I'd hate to have to make the correction in the middle of the log just when it's starting to get interesting.

I like to 'read' the log first though, and take my time to plan, measure, and mark all of the cuts I'm going to make. Sometimes the taper is more pronounced on 1 or two sides. If I can, I'll try to incorporate it into the width of the boards.

When we ordered beams for projects that it was critical that they remained stable we would order FOHC (free of heart center).

I've set up my first at times to cut right down through the heart, thus eliminating it. I can't say it makes a startling difference but it seems to make sense. The logs get easier to handle too.

Parallel to the pith is usually best.

TIP: Always orient log where largest knots are 45 degrees to the cutting plane. This will ensure the knots in boards are in the edge of the cant as it is milled. Oftentimes knots can be completely eliminated from boards as milling proceeds.

Back