Quick Stihl question for you.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought an 038 Mag, and want the larger bucking spikes for it. they look to be the same as the ones for the 066, but I'm not sure since I dont have the IPL for an 066. the part numbers I'm looking at are 1122 664 0506 and 1122 664 0501

Also, my IPL lists a felt air filter available, as well as the nylon mesh one. I'm wondering if the handlebar is the same as the 036 model. I'd like a full wrap, but dont like the 038 style of it, looks too much like a husky, I prefer the 3/4 wrap style like the newer stihls use.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Bucking spikes are the same ones listed for the 066. These are the "Large" tooth profile ones.

The 038 and 036 handles are completely different. The 036 handle will not fit an 038. The 066 inside dawg will fit the 038 but not the outside 066 dawg ( 1122 664 0501 ). The 038 dawgs have a 1119 part number. There was never a 3/4 wrap handle available for the 038 unless you modified a full wrap handle.

Well, thanks for the help. if I had a welder I could probably make my own 3/4 wrap handle for the saw, but I dont have a welder here. I do appreciate your help guys.

For the dogs you can make you own with a band saw and some scrap stainless sheetmetal. It took me about twenty minutes to cut out an extra one for my 041.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
For the dogs you can make you own with a band saw and some scrap stainless sheetmetal. It took me about twenty minutes to cut out an extra one for my 041.

Jamie
Only one major problem with that idea, I dont have a bandsaw.
A chainsaw is what I use for almost everything.

Stihl says the nylon mesh filter is to only be used when risk of water freeze up of the filter is possible. It will not filter as well as flocked or felt filters.

Its pretty much stock, with the three port muffler. I may have it ported later if I dont like the stock power.

I'm not totally sure how old it is.

oldsaw-addict said:
Its pretty much stock, with the three port muffler. I may have it ported later if I dont like the stock power.

I'm not totally sure how old it is.

Please post a pic of the muffler.

Bill

will try for some pictures soon as I can. I'll try to get some pictures as soon as I can, but it may not be for a few days.

Ok, one other question, where do I look for the serial numbers on this saw? I found something next to the mufler on the right hand side, it says, 328064873
Not sure if this is a serial number or what, but I've ordered the larger bumper spikes for this saw today.

My only complaint so far is that the standard handle, is REALLY uncorfortable when starting this thing, it slips out of my hand and isnt the elastostart handle. I think I'll order one of those when I go back to the dealer again. otherwise, this thing is unlike ANY other saw I've used before.

heres a picture of my muffler.
Note the port on the muffler cover, and on the back half of the muffler as well.

Thanks. now about the serial number, where do I find it? I'd like to know so I can record it in case the saw is ever stolen so I can stand a chance of getting it back.

Back