Quick vice to hold saw for filing in the field

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is why do it? When I first started in 1977 I did file in the field. Then I found it was much faster to carry extra chains, change them as needed, then sharpen at my convenience back at the shop. My toolbox now holds a minimum of 2 spare chains, all sharp, for each size of bar.

I've never owned more than one chain until now, I just bought new chains for both saws, wish I had bought more of them at the price he made them for me. I suppose the truth of the matter is I like a good sharp chain and can give it a quick once over at the landing. I try to process my wood in the woods so when I load it it's all split. If I was just felling I might do it differently.

Philbert I am sure that you are allergic to files. For me sharpening chains anywhere but in the field does not seem to be an option. A typical day will be to sharpen any where from three to six times a day. At ten to twenty days in the field machine sharpening could not work unless I use my 110 volt generator. Not wanting to haul anything, but essentials so I do not. After many years of cutting a slot in a log and trying to file with the log holding the bar while hand filing. That said a vice is a essential to do a decent file job. With or with out a guide plus it is much safer to eliminate cut knuckles. I have made several vices using C clamps. A few weeks ago I made a couple vices with some 5/8'' leaf springs. One with a 1/2 lag and the other with a 3/4 lag for wood that is a little punky. They work much better than any C clamp I used in that they are more stable less bulky and easier to get screwed in to the wood. Thanks

I have made several vices using C clamps. A few weeks ago I made a couple vices with some 5/8'' leaf springs. One with a 1/2 lag and the other with a 3/4 lag for wood that is a little punky.
Ted,

Please post some photos? Love to see them, and I'm sure others would as well. That's the point of this thread.

Philbert I am sure that you are allergic to files.

Not allergic. I do work with different groups, which have different cultures regarding sharpening.

My personal preference is to have at least 3 chains per saw, swap them out, then sharpen in a batch, back home on a grinder.

Sometimes I may 'touch up' in the field, with a file and file guide, which means that I have to 'grind as I file, and file as I grind'.

When I file, I like a sharp file, and a stable bar and chain, as noted.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back