Quoting Systems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeahman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys, wondering how you go about quoting?

do you have an hourly price and then estimate how many hours the job will take? or charge by the hour?

extra for climb jobs?

also when the client "asks so how much to cut this tree down, or prune this one?" do you just think it through in front of them or is it better to work it out on paper and get back to them?

i'd greatly appreciate your advice, i'm new to quoting and need all the help i can get.

Thanks

do you have an hourly price and then estimate how many hours the job will take?

YES

also when the client "asks so how much to cut this tree down, or prune this one?" do you just think it through in front of them or is it better to work it out on paper and get back to them?

PRICE ON THE SPOT FOR JOBS UNDER $10,000 OVER THAT I DO IT AT THE OFFICE

Hi Guys, wondering how you go about quoting?

do you have an hourly price and then estimate how many hours the job will take? or charge by the hour?

extra for climb jobs?

i'd greatly appreciate your advice, i'm new to quoting and need all the help i can get.

Thanks

You need to figure out what you hourly rates need to be.
Climber, groundie, labourer.

I usually estimate how long the job will take, add up the hours then add a bit for travel and contingencies.
I do not give a firm price on the spot, unless its a tiny job, I'll give a ballpark figure, ask for their email then send an estimate. Take your time, take notes and photos.

If my job comes in under estimate I will recalculate, within reason.

You'll probably have a few jobs that you don't get quite right, swallow hard, and use it as a learning experience.

you need to figure out your cost. inshurance. laborors, fuel. equipment la la la. i work on a basic flat rate of 300 a hour . but any true tree guy can look at a tree and be within 100 bucks of any other good tree guy , just by taking a look..so learn what your compatition is? and what there charging. and go 50 or 100 cheaper

I hardley go by hourly wages I always price mine from tree by tree and figure out fuel,labor,and how much i want out of the job. Usally bid high then if they say its to high go down. Don't ever bid low and try to go higher usally you loose a job.

so learn what your compatition is? and what there charging. and go 50 or 100 cheaper

Why be cheaper??????

Our customers often say we were the dearest quote they got but want us to the work. Sell them on VALUE, not price.
If the only way anyone can get work is being the cheapest then competition runs DOWN the prices for the industry and we ALL suffer.

An easy way to bid is to think of the job as a fraction of a day, or a number of days, it will take to do the job. Then apply a day rate.
For example, a big tree needs removal and you're thinking 2 or 3 hours for just the work. You might bid it at a half a day, to cover travel time, set up, and tear down.
Or you might be looking at a clearing job that you think will take about three days, if you have your day price, and a calculator, the bid is easy.

The point is to not trying to guess exactly how many hours, but what fraction of a day. Always try to bump the job up to the next fraction by adding other work they need. "While we're here, we might as well do this and that." Explain it's a better value to get it all done because there are travel and set up charges.

Lots of time we'll just say, "It looks like two days of work, and we get $1650 a day, we'll just plan on two days."

Back