Raker shape?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maintaining the origional shape ie continue to have the leading edge curved will keep the chain cutting smoother excessive depth gauge lowering not only bogs the saw but leads to bad wear patterns and or the heal of the cutter wears down tilting the cutter and making it more aggressive and slows the cutting speed most of the cutters are stamped on the depth gauge itself with the recommended depth gauge setting ie 25, 30.

Keeping the correct depth gauge setting will maximise wear and keep the balance between chip,size and speed.

Mc Bob.

Most folk don't realize that the rakers actually are pulled a small distance into the wood by the cutter. Flat rakers won't penetrate much and pointed rakers penetrate too far and can bog the saw.

Whatever you do there maximizing cutting speed requires a balance between raker depth and degree of roundness of the raker. Less raker rounding will need greater raker depth and VV.

One guy I know who mills aussie hardwood, files his rakers almost to a point at an angle of ~45º , and he uses around .030" raker depths. He also nips the sides of the rakers so they are narrower so they bite a little more.

bob is this similiar to the gb? ripping chain where the rakers actually score the wood?

I personnally have not seen the ripping chain you talk about so i cannot comment on it most of the chains i see for ripping are either semi chisel or super chisel it just depends on how fast you want your saw to fall to bits.

Chipper is the smoothest followed by semi chisel and although the super chisel cuts the quickest it vibrates the hardest.

Super chisel was designed as a high speed falling chain.

Mc Bob.

Back