husky 435 bogs when I try to rev it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRT Ranch adventures

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I picked up a little husky 435 for $10 at an auction, it will start and idles ok but every time I hit the trigger it bogs down and wont spin up the chain. my first thought was a clogged fuel or air filter so I replaced both, same problem. next I pulled the muffler off and it was in perfect shape and the screen is clean, so as far as I can tell its breathing ok. next I figured it had to be carb trouble of something with the spark so I put a new plug on it and replaced the carb with an oem husky carb, not a china one, and still have the same problem. so at this point I'm not sure what else it could be, any ideas on what to check next

thanks,
Garrett

hey everyone,

I picked up a little husky 435 for $10 at an auction, it will start and idles ok but every time I hit the trigger it bogs down and wont spin up the chain. my first thought was a clogged fuel or air filter so I replaced both, same problem. next I pulled the muffler off and it was in perfect shape and the screen is clean, so as far as I can tell its breathing ok. next I figured it had to be carb trouble of something with the spark so I put a new plug on it and replaced the carb with an oem husky carb, not a china one, and still have the same problem. so at this point I'm not sure what else it could be, any ideas on what to check next

thanks,
Garrett
Won't spin the chain at all like its jammed?
Fuel line soft and collapsing,replace.
Check the compression and post the numbers.

the chain is free and the fuel line looks ok from the outside but i guess it could be collapsing its an auction find so i have no history on it as far as what fuel was ran in through it, maybe the previous guy ran ethanol. ill get the compression numbers when i get home, what should they be?

the chain is free and the fuel line looks ok from the outside but i guess it could be collapsing its an auction find so i have no history on it as far as what fuel was ran in through it, maybe the previous guy ran ethanol. ill get the compression numbers when i get home, what should they be?
Does the line feel spongy when squeezed?
Keep pulling the comp tester till it stops rising no matter how many pulls about 15, maybe it should be150 I suppose. We will see.

i tried adjusting the carb that came with it and im pretty sure i had it to the factory settings, since i replaced it i have tried adjusting both needles a little bit but saw no change so i put them back to where they started when it was delivered. i assume that it is at factory settings since its a brand new husky carb. it idles a bit rough but it will stay running. when i pull the trigger it sounds like the chain brake is on but its not and the chain moves freely.

i have a video of it running ill put on youtube and link here when its up

Well just put a compression tester on it and after about 20 pulls it was showing about 32 psi so I guess I'll be ordering a piston kit for it. There was no visible scoring looking through the exhaust port, y'all reckon I could just do the piston or should I order the cylinder as well?

Well just put a compression tester on it and after about 20 pulls it was showing about 32 psi so I guess I'll be ordering a piston kit for it. There was no visible scoring looking through the exhaust port, y'all reckon I could just do the piston or should I order the cylinder as well?
There's your dinner! But cross-check that gauge against a known runner first. Then we can go from there.

Well I already tore the 435 down but I checked the gauge on my 350 and it only showed 50 psi...
There's your dinner! But cross-check that gauge against a known runner first. Then we can go from there.
Here's some pics of the inside of the 435

The piston looks good to my eye you can still see the lathe tooling marks on most of it. Is it normal to see that much carbon below the ring? Also the only engine I've ever got into that only has one ring.

Latest posts

Back