rayco spr jnr belt conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_lopa

Overhead downunder
Reaction score
has anyone converted there poly chain set up to triple fan type pulleys?ive seen them done and think im going to do it,any help on the matter apreciated.

yours sincerly belt breaker

How did you make out on the belt conversion? The polychain drive belt is up to over $700 now from Rayco. Ouch!!

What is the reason for the change-over?. My rayco poly chain has over 400 hours on it and is still in good shape. hope I did not just jinx myself. Does the unit perform better with the v-belts? I would think there would be more slippage with the v-belts. Have a couple of big carltons at work and the poly chains have close to 1000 hours on them. Had one break recently with a poor operator, kept bogging down the machine and running it with dull teeth, so I guess the belt gave up.

How did you make out on the belt conversion? The polychain drive belt is up to over $700 now from Rayco. Ouch!!

Really? I just bought one from the Rayco dealer here about a month ago and it was like $250. I still about had a heartattack.

That can't be correct for a Sr Jr. I had one and used to buy them for $130. The early Sr Jrs had narrow small toothed ones that would break easily. The later ones had bigger teeth. The one on my Carlton is wider - thus probably stronger - has 350 hours on it and not a hint of wear.

I think some people might be overly aggressive or accidently grab the wrong function and cause problems.

Dull teeth probably really affects it also.

I did the conversion 6 months ago,total cost was $380 AUD to run triple pulleys with kevlar fan belts.

its not so much replacing the polychain its the worn sprockets that end up sharp with wear.

The reason the poly belts break on stump grinders is sharp pulleys or loose belt being shock loaded (taking to much of a bite) or worn out pivot king pin and bearings causing up and down slop at cutter wheel (bouncing on stump causing shock load). I have seen this last one alot on raycos. The v-belt does give more (slips on pulleys) but if left loose for to long belt will be burnt and glazed and will need to be replaced. It all comes down to maintenance.

Scott

I converted my SC252 to 3 Ea. 5/8" belts when I put the Diesel on it. I use BX460 belts a set of 3 cost about $16.00 and handle the extra torque much better than the Vermeer belt. Been so long ago I don't remember what I paid for the pulley's.

Latest posts

Back