Rayco stump cutter problems. Sound familiar to anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We bought a 1645 stump grinder just over a year ago. The machine was brand new and we had problems right outta the chute. The problems ranged from the outside duals coming off to hydraulic leaks (probably 7 different hoses or fittings had to be replaced) and motor cut out. Obvoiusly our biggest concern was the motor. All of the problems were inconvenient, and unacceptable for a brand new machine, but the 44hp kubota, that wouldn't consistently run, had the most potential to cost us a lot of money post-warranty. Now, to Rayco's credit, after several trips to the factory with no permanent fix on the motor they gave us another brand new machine, one year newer. Naturally, we were happy and thought we'd gotten past this dilemma.....WRONG! In the first week of use, the new grinder was having motor issues. The machine would not run. I'm not a big believer in coincidence and we're hearing from the company that our situation is unique, NO ONE else is having these kinds of problems with their 1645's. To be fair to the company I am posting this and looking for feedback from anyone else who runs this machine.

Kubota 44HP

I dont know about the motor be interested as I am considering a Carlton SP4012 with Kubota 44HP.
Eamonn

We bought a 1645 stump grinder just over a year ago. The machine was brand new and we had problems right outta the chute. The problems ranged from the outside duals coming off to hydraulic leaks (probably 7 different hoses or fittings had to be replaced) and motor cut out. Obvoiusly our biggest concern was the motor. All of the problems were inconvenient, and unacceptable for a brand new machine, but the 44hp kubota, that wouldn't consistently run, had the most potential to cost us a lot of money post-warranty. Now, to Rayco's credit, after several trips to the factory with no permanent fix on the motor they gave us another brand new machine, one year newer. Naturally, we were happy and thought we'd gotten past this dilemma.....WRONG! In the first week of use, the new grinder was having motor issues. The machine would not run. I'm not a big believer in coincidence and we're hearing from the company that our situation is unique, NO ONE else is having these kinds of problems with their 1645's. To be fair to the company I am posting this and looking for feedback from anyone else who runs this machine.

So I occasionally have the engine die out for no apparent reason. Had a hard time getting it started back up today. Lots of black smoke when i do get it going. Is this similar to anything you had?

Back