razor sharp chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a dying art!
Everyone i know uses disposable hand saws now, And wow are they sharp!
They are only sharp when you buy them. Most all the disposable saws are made of impulse hardened teeth, and they can't be sharpened with a file, because the steel is harder than the file. You have no choice but to throw them away.

It was a dying art until around '96 when a couple guys started a making quality saws in America again, the company was called Independence Toolworks. Lie-Niesen bought them and making saw, but others have come to surface also, and there is a resurgence again, case in point the handsaw I milled out of bronze above. Milling a slotted back is what Pete Taran created, in '96.

There is no excuse for not using a sharp tool. Hand sharpening was something that every craftsman knew how to do in days of lore, but that is not the case anymore, some would rather throw the saw/chain away and get another one. Some people send their saws out to be sharpened, shame on those folks also...this is a basic skill that most craftsmen should know how to do.

Sharpening chain seems similar, it only takes a few minutes to take a file and sharpen the teeth. While it seems awkward at first, it becomes more natural in a very short time. Ok, off my soapbox...:angrysoapbox:

Regards,
TT

just got off the line with the Simington folks... seems they've been in business the entire time.

could you please post a picture of the raker grinding attachment?
pretty sad... Simington has no website and no way to show what they sell.

I just received it and haven't had time to get it set up. But here is some literature that they sent me and it shows the raker attachment pretty well.

scan0001.jpg
[/IMG]

scan0002.jpg

scan.jpg
[/IMG]

They are only sharp when you buy them. Most all the disposable saws are made of impulse hardened teeth, and they can't be sharpened with a file, because the steel is harder than the file. You have no choice but to throw them away.

It was a dying art until around '96 when a couple guys started a making quality saws in America again, the company was called Independence Toolworks. Lie-Niesen bought them and making saw, but others have come to surface also, and there is a resurgence again, case in point the handsaw I milled out of bronze above. Milling a slotted back is what Pete Taran created, in '96.

There is no excuse for not using a sharp tool. Hand sharpening was something that every craftsman knew how to do in days of lore, but that is not the case anymore, some would rather throw the saw/chain away and get another one. Some people send their saws out to be sharpened, shame on those folks also...this is a basic skill that most craftsmen should know how to do.

Sharpening chain seems similar, it only takes a few minutes to take a file and sharpen the teeth. While it seems awkward at first, it becomes more natural in a very short time. Ok, off my soapbox...:angrysoapbox:

Regards,
TT

I have an alligator saw, Dewalt make the model now but i have the Black and Decker version.
I couldnt get blades for it so i took the dremel and a stone and sharpened the teeth, They were the hardened type but they lasted well enough after sharpening.
But like you say a file wont touch them!

The throw away saws work fine and at less than £5 each you can risk cutting near a nail!

Me, I enjoy sharpening things, Ive even been bored and sharpened stanley blades:)

The throw away saws work fine and at less than £5 each you can risk cutting near a nail!
You can still risk cutting near a nail with a normal 1095 spring steel plate, you will just need to file it if you hit the nail. There was also some saws designed for cutting through nails, they were metal cutting hand saws, Disston and Atkins made them for sure, I have an Atkins.

The most amazing thing about handsaws, is that during the 1st and 2nd phases of the Industrial Revolution (1st phase being during the 18th century in England with automation of textiles, 2nd phase being in America after Bessemer's process for making steel happened mid 19th century), it was Henry Disston who capitolized off handsaws. Disston become one of the richest men in the U.S. during the 19th century, and moving into the 20th century. However, power saws started to eclipse their empire, and from the early 20th century to about mid point the quality of western style saws became horrid. This same eclipse is where the chainsaw must have surfaced as being a more useful tool, than a 2-man crosscut saw.

Henry Disston was like Bill Gates is in the modern world with computers, but it was handsaws that made him what he was. With a handsaw you could build a house. Same with a chainsaw if you know what your doing (I'm learning;-). There's a lot to learn out of all that, but Disston was as evil as Gates is, buying up companies to put them out of business, buying companies for their patents, preventing others from creating products related in any way to the patents, etc...everyone is after a monopoly so that everyone will buy from them...*sigh*

At the end of the day, know how to sharpen with a $2 file, and know how to cut with an axe if needed, one day the power may go out or you won't be able to find a part to repair either a saw or sharpening machine. Knowing the basics can go a long way.

Food for thought...

Regards,
TT

It's definately possible to get your chain cutting better than it comes out of the box, stihl or oregon. i take 3 swipes with a file as soon as i fit a new chain cause they too slow straight out of the box.
Using 7/32 files the trick, i'll sharpen right down till cutters start breaking off and i'm into the side straps.
Never had the need for a grinder, file works fine.

Dad just bought a bench grinder to sharpen our chains. Can I still use a file to sharpen in the woods or will it take a million strokes to cut the round shape into the cutter again?

Dad just bought a bench grinder to sharpen our chains. Can I still use a file to sharpen in the woods or will it take a million strokes to cut the round shape into the cutter again?
this reminds me of the guy whos hands were damaged in an acident asking the doctor if he would be able to play the piano, the doc said yes, the patient said cool I never could before.
I know its an old joke but it just seemed to fit.

look, I am ass an I apoligize, just be careful not to overheat the cutters with the grinder.As long as you dont go to deep the wheel should cut similar to the file.
Once again, sorry.

look, I am ass an I apoligize, just be careful not to overheat the cutters with the grinder.As long as you dont go to deep the wheel should cut similar to the file.
Once again, sorry.

no biggie, I just have a dozen files on a back order and if I can't use them I will cancel the order.

Latest posts

Back