RC Nitro in a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Race gas and alcohol/methanol are two completely separate things. Race gas should not have any alcohol in it.
You can buy can of methanol as race fuel it’s what guy running “alcohol” run either with direct injection or blow through carbs.

I remember 75 cents a gallon for methanol in the 80's. $17 - $34 a gallon for nitro in the 90's. Methanol was up to $ 4 per gallon by then.
Yup, alot has changed since then sadly
Use a hydrometer to find out how much water the methanol has gained. That is what actually ruins the magnesium. And alcohol resistant fuel lines are available.
It's in a dry place and is tightly sealed and hasn't been opened. Could moisture get in? I'm not sure how the rubber o-ring on the lid is but it should be in tough shape. How much do the testers go for? I'll have to look into those fuel lines
Race gas and alcohol/methanol are two completely separate things. Race gas should not have any alcohol in it.
What's the difference besides the burn rate? Alcohol burns slow but methanol burns slower correct?
Sorry OP, I know this is hijacking this thread, but class of car?
I'm into cars a bit more the engines. I'm more on the technical side and wanna get my hands dirty. I just built up a tractor type thing with an artic cat 440 liquid and a lawn mower front end with a golf cart rear end. I'm just waiting for it to break

Yup, alot has changed since then sadly

It's in a dry place and is tightly sealed and hasn't been opened. Could moisture get in? I'm not sure how the rubber o-ring on the lid is but it should be in tough shape. How much do the testers go for? I'll have to look into those fuel lines

What's the difference besides the burn rate? Alcohol burns slow but methanol burns slower correct?

I'm into cars a bit more the engines. I'm more on the technical side and wanna get my hands dirty. I just built up a tractor type thing with an artic cat 440 liquid and a lawn mower front end with a golf cart rear end. I'm just waiting for it to break
It's been 25 years since I bought a hydrometer for nitro, I dunno the current prices, but if the wouldn't gouge you, the price should be what an antifreeze or battery tester runs. Though you f I get the fancy flask and padded box, which actually helps.
Alcohol is a totally different based (non-petrolium) fuel that burns almost colorless, it tends not to flash, burns a bit cooler in the open, and is somewhat compressible compared to gas and nitro. In order to get the increased potential energy out of it, you need to put more compression and fuel into it. Check out rubbing Alcohol and compare it with gasoline. If you light a small 2" puddle of each on the ground apart. Their different behavior should be apparent.

For what it is worth:

Type of Oil in Nitro Fuel

Oil in the RC fuel helps reduce friction and helps the RC engine run cooler. Nitro fuel may contain castor oil, synthetic oil, or a mixture of both. When castor oil breaks down at high temperatures it creates a lubricating film -- desirable but somewhat messy. Synthetic oil lubricates well at low temperatures but at high temperatures, it burns off and provides little protection. Because RC car engines typically run hotter or have less efficient cooling systems than RC aircraft, nitro fuel for cars usually uses castor oil or, more commonly these days, a castor oil / synthetic oil mix. RC aircraft fuel typically uses synthetic oil but may also use a castor oil / synthetic oil mix.

Percentage of Oil in Nitro Fuel

The percentage of oil might range anywhere from 8% to 25% with 15%-20% being the typical amount of oil found in nitro fuel. There is some debate as to whether an RC aircraft that often runs at wide open throttle during most of its run needs a higher percentage of oil than an RC car that only runs at full throttle for short spurts. An RC car or truck with a hopped-up engine that does a lot of high-speed racing may need a higher oil percentage than one running a stock engine and not involved in professional racing.

Other Types of RC Fuel

While 10% to 40% is the typical percentage of nitro in nitro fuel, you can buy fuel with as much as 60% nitro or with 0% nitro (FAI fuel). Most RC cars and trucks use 10%-40% nitro blends. RC airplanes may use lower nitro blends of 5%-10% nitro. There are also RC engines that run on regular gasoline mixed with motor oil or diesel fuel (these are engines with spark plugs rather than glow plugs) as well as jet-turbine engines that use propane or kerosene. These are specialty radio controlled models and not the kind most often sold in hobby shops.

Best Fuel for an RC Nitro Engine

It is generally best to start out with the type of fuel recommended by the manufacturer for your RC engine -- and the recommended engine settings -- whether that glow engine is in a car, truck, airplane, helicopter, or boat. Once you become more familiar with your RC and understand how the various nitro blends affect performance you can start experimenting to find the nitro/oil mix that works best for the way you use your RC.

It's been 25 years since I bought a hydrometer for nitro, I dunno the current prices, but if the wouldn't gouge you, the price should be what an antifreeze or battery tester runs. Though you f I get the fancy flask and padded box, which actually helps.
Alcohol is a totally different based (non-petrolium) fuel that burns almost colorless, it tends not to flash, burns a bit cooler in the open, and is somewhat compressible compared to gas and nitro. In order to get the increased potential energy out of it, you need to put more compression and fuel into it. Check out rubbing Alcohol and compare it with gasoline. If you light a small 2" puddle of each on the ground apart. Their different behavior should be apparent.
I was looking at hydrometers and the prices were from $75-450 which is way too high to use just once. I kinda know a bit on alcohol from toy steam engines and watching them burn and how quick they burn. I have a weed wacker that i ran denatured alcohol on last night and all I did was a bigger carb and it ran fine just hard to start up but it ran good. What the differences between alcohol and denatured alcohol or are they both the same? Snapchat-1654896352.jpg

I belive, but cannot say for sure, that both forms of the alcohol you mentioned are wood based, if so, they should burn similarly. As for hard starting, a shot of gasoline as a primer will help the engine when cold.

Back when I was a youngster I messed with glow engines and decided to run some glow fuel in a chainsaw, it certainly run it, made a nice smell too.

It's a runner. My throat started to burn after running it for a minute. Why does it do small revs after I take my hand off the throttle and let it idle? I'm thinking it's an air leak cuz my old bike ran like that and it had an air leak.
Thanks for all the help everyone, it was very useful and helpful. Thanks again heres a vid 🔽

Back