200T rebuild needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robpm

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 200T which I bought brand new in I think was 2004 s/n 162905336. It has been a great saw but I figured I messed up with my gas and did not mix the oil like normal. I have been running chain saws for over 40 years, I have an 044 that I purchased in 1997 and it is still running strong. So I froze the engine on the 200T. I am thinking that I could rebuild it. I am guessing I would need a new cylinder, piston rings, head etc. Is this worth doing? Where would I purchase the parts from, directly from Stihl or are there other avenues available? Any input would be greatly appreciated. As I said this has been a great saw for me and I am really sorry that I messed up in this way but these things do happen at times and I understand that. Thanks for your help.

I have a Stihl 200T which I bought brand new in I think was 2004 s/n 162905336. It has been a great saw but I figured I messed up with my gas and did not mix the oil like normal. I have been running chain saws for over 40 years, I have an 044 that I purchased in 1997 and it is still running strong. So I froze the engine on the 200T. I am thinking that I could rebuild it. I am guessing I would need a new cylinder, piston rings, head etc. Is this worth doing? Where would I purchase the parts from, directly from Stihl or are there other avenues available? Any input would be greatly appreciated. As I said this has been a great saw for me and I am really sorry that I messed up in this way but these things do happen at times and I understand that. Thanks for your help.
I would think that parts would be readily available for that saw. Is it HL Supply where I saw some parts? I have a 193T which of course may be a throw away saw compared to the 200T. That saw is an expensive one to replace and if the rest of the unit is in good shape it would be worth it to obtain the parts to bring it up to speed. I have had good success finding Stihl parts at dealers and ordering them online. In addition to the 193T, here I have a 211 for limbing, a 231 (purchased when I had a cottage in Canada), a 261CM, a 400CM, and my late father’s 044. All with SugiHara lightweight bars. Also, a 130R Kombi with a chisel circular blade and 131 Kombi with the chain saw attachments for a pole saw. Lots of Stihl stuff to keep running. My decades long in suffering my antics wife is from the real northern Scotland and we split time there now where I have a MS400 and a 241. I priced a 201 there and it nearly a thousand quid. I chose nothing right now as the choice seemed to be sleeping in out of the rain or a 201. But, our properties here and there are extremely rural and wooded. Gotta have em. So, I did a similar rebuild job as you’re facing on my 130R and it now seems as responsive to the throttle and the same power as the 131R. I am going to need a brush cutter in the highlands because I am overrun with gorse.

If you're a practical person & considering fixing it yourself, first thing to do is assess the damage. If the cylinder isn't actually damaged & you're prepared to clean the transfer off you will likely only need a piston & rings

OK guys, I finally broke the 200T all down. It has taken me longer than expected but I have a full over time job running a company and then everything else in life. It looks like the cylinder is scored to me. I have had conversations with Lone Wolf (Steve) about the saw and he had told me to send it to him. The more videos I watched the more I learned and I also found the service manual that I could download as well so that has been helpful after the fact. The best videos I watched was a 3 part that John from Johnscustomsaws did for a guy out on the west coast by the name of Jacob who seems to have a pretty active YouTube and instagram account. John is and was a Stihl certified tech. He also timed and ported the 200T and all was videoed in great detail. He gave a lot of good info and was very helpful. So I have broke the saw down completely and removed the crank bearings and seals etc. I have purchased all the new OEM parts. All rubber hoses, gaskets, bearings, seals etc... Steve is not a long drive from me and I toy with taking him the saw and watching him do the rebuild. I am sure there are some things that I would learn in the process. The good thing is that he gets all the pieces completely clean and all the OEM new parts. I will try to post some picks along with the cylinder and the piston.

You certainly would not go wrong taking it to ,Steve. The seals on those saws are difficult to get in correctly and can be very frustrating, if Steve is willing to help you best make the effort for your sanity sake/peace of mind.
Yup, I would help if he needs.

OEM STIHL 200T Cylinders are now NLA! You are going to have to call around. I might have one used here.

OEM STIHL 200T Cylinders are now NLA! You are going to have to call around. I might have one used here.
I bought 2 of them from a dealer that had them in stock. So I am set that way. Steve we have been talking on the phone back in January. I am the guy up in north Jersey. I will give you a call at some point.

pictures etc. you can see the scoring of the cylinder on the exhaust port side.

Attachments

• IMG_8243.JPEG
    IMG_8243.JPEG
    656.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8244.JPEG
    IMG_8244.JPEG
    761.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8245.JPEG
    IMG_8245.JPEG
    791.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8247.JPEG
    IMG_8247.JPEG
    726 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8254.JPEG
    IMG_8254.JPEG
    542.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8255.JPEG
    IMG_8255.JPEG
    612.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8242.JPEG
    IMG_8242.JPEG
    762 KB · Views: 0
Here are some other pics of the saw in pieces but in order all screws with the piece that they go with. I have all the parts for the rebuild and they are all OEM.

Attachments

• IMG_8238.JPEG
    IMG_8238.JPEG
    892.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8236.JPEG
    IMG_8236.JPEG
    885.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8234.JPEG
    IMG_8234.JPEG
    735.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8233.JPEG
    IMG_8233.JPEG
    762.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8232.JPEG
    IMG_8232.JPEG
    761 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8231.JPEG
    IMG_8231.JPEG
    865.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8230.JPEG
    IMG_8230.JPEG
    834.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8229.JPEG
    IMG_8229.JPEG
    747.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8228.JPEG
    IMG_8228.JPEG
    770 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8227.JPEG
    IMG_8227.JPEG
    790.2 KB · Views: 0
I have the service manual for the 200 and 200T. The one thing I do not have is the parts manual in PDF. I was pulling the parts off of a site in the UK which had the layout and the part numbers. I would love to find a PDF of the parts manual as well.

I have the service manual for the 200 and 200T. The one thing I do not have is the parts manual in PDF. I was pulling the parts off of a site in the UK which had the layout and the part numbers. I would love to find a PDF of the parts manual as well.
@ray benson

Back