Looking to add a pro ~70 cc saw to the fold so that my son and I can both run saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the limited information, I'd either look at the MS400, or MS462. Not sure what the husky equivalents are, but I'm sure they are good saws as well. I'd give your son the 044 to run so you can have the lighter, and stronger saw.

FWIW, once you get to 60cc, I would stick to pro saws simply because of the weight. 12lbs to 13 lbs isn't bad, but if you're carrying around that much weight, the saw should have the hp to get the work done fast. If you're not really concerned about how fast the saw cuts, there's not much need to have a powerhead that weights more than 10 to 11 lbs.

I am looking to add an additional saw to the fold and I am looking at a professional ~70 cc saw. One like my 1997 Stihl 044. I have been looking at the Echo brand, or the Dolmar/Makita brands. I have read that they are good saws. My Stihl have been good saws but what I have read over the past couple of years they have not been as good with all the newfangled electronic ignitions etc. Maybe that is really not a problem but some of you may know better than me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
It's a jungle out there with all the saw choices, but having run the Echo 7310 through its paces, it's quite the powerhouse. But if you can still get your hands on a 372xp, it's a classic that doesn't disappoint.

Go to your local dealer and handle the saws with whatever bar length you like. I would recommend the light bar. I have Stihl and Husqvarna. I like both.

Follow up on this. I bought the 462 with a standard carb and with a 32" bar. I have not put it into wood yet but it really runs well. I bought it in NH and that saved me the sales tax and the dealer gave me a little on the price. I bought 2 additional chains and he told me if I bought the 6 pack of the 2 stroke synthetic oil he said it would double my warranty so that I did. So I am a happy camper.

In addition my friend who is an aborist and ran his own company for many years is looking to retire somewhat and has been selling off his log truck and chipper and his bucket truck and chip truck and stump grinder etc. He is going to work for another guy doing estimates for him on a commission basis. My friend is 72 but he looks like he is 50. He told me he had a 650 and an additional 200T that he wanted to sell. He is keeping his MS260 and his other 200T. He said that the 650 has hardly ever been used. So I am going to buy the 650 and the additional 200T off of him. My son would like a 200T. I would like the close to 90cc saw for real big stuff. I understand that nobody really bothered to buy the 650 saws because why not pay the extra $ to get the 660 which makes sense. Why he originally bought the 650 over the 660 I have not heard. I can only speculate. I am not sure on the prices yet but I think that he will give me a fair price for them.

I had one question on the 650, is it as easy as putting a new cylinder and piston on it in order to make a true 660 or are there things inhibiting one from doing so? I am just asking.

And then also is it worth porting the 650 in any way. Would that benefit the saw and if so who is a good person/company that does saw porting to do that with a 650?

Hmm... Crickets...

I don't know anything about the 650. I have an 064 that needs rebuilt. It's been a good saw. I bought it used for $375 a little over 10 years ago. I normally ran it with a 28" bar. On the 064, I think you had to re-drill and tap the mounting bolts for the cylinder to convert it to an 066. The bolt pattern is the same, but the 066 used a slightly larger bolt. I don't remember the sizes. I'm not sure if the 650 compares or not. My understanding is that the week point in this conversion is the pin on the crank shaft. It's not as big as the one on the 066. Not sure how big of a difference that actually makes.

When my 064 went south on me, I bought a G660 (066 clone). I was working on a big oak in my back yard at the time. It was over 5' across, and I needed something fast. The G660 arrived in 2 business days. I've been running it ever since. I keep looking at the 064 sitting on the floor in my shop thinking that I should rebuild it, but I just haven't been motivated to do the work. My G660 will run my 42" bar, and with the 28" bar, I've never been able to stop the chain unless I'm noodling and I get the clutch area packed full of noodles.

As far as working over the 650, I'd start by opening the muffler up if your buddy hasn't already. Beyond that, you're probably better off shipping the saw to someone who does saw mods for a living. I've never had any of my saws ported so I don't really have anything to base any recommendations on.

Hmm... Crickets...

I don't know anything about the 650. I have an 064 that needs rebuilt. It's been a good saw. I bought it used for $375 a little over 10 years ago. I normally ran it with a 28" bar. On the 064, I think you had to re-drill and tap the mounting bolts for the cylinder to convert it to an 066. The bolt pattern is the same, but the 066 used a slightly larger bolt. I don't remember the sizes. I'm not sure if the 650 compares or not. My understanding is that the week point in this conversion is the pin on the crank shaft. It's not as big as the one on the 066. Not sure how big of a difference that actually makes.

When my 064 went south on me, I bought a G660 (066 clone). I was working on a big oak in my back yard at the time. It was over 5' across, and I needed something fast. The G660 arrived in 2 business days. I've been running it ever since. I keep looking at the 064 sitting on the floor in my shop thinking that I should rebuild it, but I just haven't been motivated to do the work. My G660 will run my 42" bar, and with the 28" bar, I've never been able to stop the chain unless I'm noodling and I get the clutch area packed full of noodles.

As far as working over the 650, I'd start by opening the muffler up if your buddy hasn't already. Beyond that, you're probably better off shipping the saw to someone who does saw mods for a living. I've never had any of my saws ported so I don't really have anything to base any recommendations on.
Thanks for picking up the thread. That is helpful info. My friend has been too busy and hasn't gotten me a price yet and he told me the other night that it was a 660. So I am not sure yet. He also told me that he has a 260 or 261 that needs work that his groundsman used and asked if I would be interested in it as well. I told him I was. I am thinking of one of my sons or my son in law who could use a saw that was dependable. So my friend is selling a 200T, a 650 or 660 soon to find out and a 260 or 261. We will see what they all are sooner or later.

Personally, I would prioritize the 260/261 over a 90cc saw since you already have a 462. A 90cc saw will be noticeably stronger pulling that 32" bar, but the 70cc saw shouldn't really struggle with it. Conversely, a 70 or 90 cc power head with a 32" bar and chain tends to get heavy pretty quick, so it would be really nice having a good 50cc saw with a little 16" or 18" bar. I have an older 026. I don't use it a ton, but I DO use it and I'm glad I have it. In addition to cutting my firewood, I do some volunteer work doing disaster relief after big storms. Its very rare that I need a bar longer than 18" for that, and having one on a light weight 50cc pro saw is very handy when you're having to climb over and through all kinds of debris over all kinds of terrain. Realistically, if that saw is a 261, it and the 462 make a nearly perfect 2 saw plan. Do what ever you need to get it running good, clear out the muffler, and put it to work.

Well it finally happened. I was able to purchase the 3 saws from my arborist friend. The saws are an MS 660 Magnum, an MS 260 and an MS 200T. The saws all run. The 660 has a 32" bar on it and he had an extra chain. He sold me the 200T for $400, the 260 for $200 and the 660 for $815. Total was $1,415. I though that that was a very good price for these saws. The 660 has had use but not a lot. See the pics I took this evening. I will try to get some more in the daylight. The 462 is in the distant background.

I asked him what the mix was he used and he said all premium gas with either the Stihl orange bottle for the premix or Husqvarna oil. He typically used a 40:1 mixture. I can't wait to try them out and see how they run. The 260 looks to be the oldest. It was the saw his groundsman ran on a regular basis.

IMG_8522.JPEGIMG_8523.JPEGIMG_8524.JPEGIMG_8525.JPEGIMG_8529.JPEGIMG_8530.JPEGIMG_8532.JPEGIMG_8533.JPEGIMG_8534.JPEGIMG_8535.JPEG

One other group of questions. Does anyone have the service manual and parts manual on these saws? I already have what I need for the 200T. So I would be interested in getting them for the 260 and the 660. I would also like to get them for the 044 and the 462.

Thanks

Rob

One other group of questions. Does anyone have the service manual and parts manual on these saws? I already have what I need for the 200T. So I would be interested in getting them for the 260 and the 660. I would also like to get them for the 044 and the 462.

Thanks

Rob
Ask nicely on the beg for manuals thread & they'll show up in you inbox in no time ;)

Here are better pics of the 660. I can see that the starter cover has had some damage to it. But other than that it looks to be in very good shape. The muffler seems to be an aftermarket change. Does anyone recognize it?IMG_8549.JPEGIMG_8551.JPEGIMG_8549.JPEGIMG_8551.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_8540.JPEG
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8541.JPEG
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8542.JPEG
    17.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8543.JPEG
    12.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8544.JPEG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8547.JPEG
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8548.JPEG
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
You can get a 462 non m-tronic, if the electronic stuff bothers you. The husky 372 or echo 7310 would be other non electronic saws but tough to beat the 462 in the 70 cc class.
The problem with them is the carb adjustment screws are probably epoxy over like my 5105 so you can never adjust them. I’m stuck trying to decide, 572 or 462. So I’m reading all the threads on this site

Tough choice once I got to the 462 the 500i is only a few hundred more. It's only money can't take it with you. It sure would be nice if a guy could demo a new saw before buying.

As you know I bought the 462 non-Mtronic. I have watched a couple of videos where they drill out the stops in the carburetor for the jets. I have not used it yet and I am going to have the saw modified. I am looking at different companies that do it. It looks like Rip Saw is pretty impressive with the amount of saws they do but they have a 6 to 8 month wait time. The owners are liking it I am sure and it sounds like they put out a pretty good product and service. I have tried contacting some others but they do not reply. Rip Saw mods the carburetor on it as well as part of the service.

I like the 462 because you can still get it with a standard carburetor. I am a bit concerned about the fuel injection and computer on board the 500i. However I must say where ever I go or read something on the 500i it is always good but even better if it is modified with porting and doing the squish for shaving off the base of the cylinder and timing. It sounds like it can compete with the unmodified 90 cc class saws.

I think that I will be quite happy with the 462 and even more happy if I get it modified.

Follow up on this. I bought the 462 with a standard carb and with a 32" bar. I have not put it into wood yet but it really runs well. I bought it in NH and that saved me the sales tax and the dealer gave me a little on the price. I bought 2 additional chains and he told me if I bought the 6 pack of the 2 stroke synthetic oil he said it would double my warranty so that I did. So I am a happy camper.

In addition my friend who is an aborist and ran his own company for many years is looking to retire somewhat and has been selling off his log truck and chipper and his bucket truck and chip truck and stump grinder etc. He is going to work for another guy doing estimates for him on a commission basis. My friend is 72 but he looks like he is 50. He told me he had a 650 and an additional 200T that he wanted to sell. He is keeping his MS260 and his other 200T. He said that the 650 has hardly ever been used. So I am going to buy the 650 and the additional 200T off of him. My son would like a 200T. I would like the close to 90cc saw for real big stuff. I understand that nobody really bothered to buy the 650 saws because why not pay the extra $ to get the 660 which makes sense. Why he originally bought the 650 over the 660 I have not heard. I can only speculate. I am not sure on the prices yet but I think that he will give me a fair price for them.

I had one question on the 650, is it as easy as putting a new cylinder and piston on it in order to make a true 660 or are there things inhibiting one from doing so? I am just asking.

And then also is it worth porting the 650 in any way. Would that benefit the saw and if so who is a good person/company that does saw porting to do that with a 650?
A 32 is pushing it for that saw, imo.
Stick with a 24 on that one…32 on the 660

As you know I bought the 462 non-Mtronic. I have watched a couple of videos where they drill out the stops in the carburetor for the jets. I have not used it yet and I am going to have the saw modified. I am looking at different companies that do it. It looks like Rip Saw is pretty impressive with the amount of saws they do but they have a 6 to 8 month wait time. The owners are liking it I am sure and it sounds like they put out a pretty good product and service. I have tried contacting some others but they do not reply. Rip Saw mods the carburetor on it as well as part of the service.

I like the 462 because you can still get it with a standard carburetor. I am a bit concerned about the fuel injection and computer on board the 500i. However I must say where ever I go or read something on the 500i it is always good but even better if it is modified with porting and doing the squish for shaving off the base of the cylinder and timing. It sounds like it can compete with the unmodified 90 cc class saws.

I think that I will be quite happy with the 462 and even more happy if I get it modified.
Do more research on ripsaw…just say’n…
At present, all the reputable builders are at least 6mos out.

Back