re-building my 362/372 xp hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi my saw blew up about a month ago so i have ordered a new meteor piston and jug, I'm waiting for it to come from the states. So whilst I have been eagerly awaiting the new parts I have been modding the muffler and practicing windowing the piston. what do you think. I am welding the exhaust tomorrow any hints or tips whilst i'm doing these mods....I don't know anyone in the UK who has been doing the mods like you guys. Whats the easiest way to wash all the aluminium particles off everything once its ready to re-assemble? I don't want to rush this project and would love to have a saw rivaling some of you guys across the pond!

Most 362's had the bolt on intake manifold. Did you get the new clamp on style manifold parts with your replacement Meteor P & C?

The returns gained from windowing a piston are debatable.

no i haven't :bang: and mine is the bolt on type! hmm better look for one! whats your views on the piston windowing then?

ayeeeee yorkshire born an yyorkshire bred, strong in the arm thick in the head! lol You done any modding to your saws Rich?

You need to find out why the old top-end failed, and fix the issue, before you put a new top-end on the saw! :msp_wink:

The windowed pistons generally come with the closed port engines where the lower transfer ports enter into the side of the cylinder wall.

With the 372, the lower part of the intake transfers have their own entrance directly into the crankcase. Therefore windowing the piston serves no real purpose other than making the piston lighter.

ayeeeee yorkshire born an yyorkshire bred, strong in the arm thick in the head! lol You done any modding to your saws Rich?

Good man. I'm the 'southern fairy' on here now then... Cheers!

Me mod my saws? Yeah most of them - Not as much as some of the dudes here, the wife wont let it.

Good man. I'm the 'southern fairy' on here now then... Cheers!

Me mod my saws? Yeah most of them - Not as much as some of the dudes here, the wife wont let it.

gutted! some of them on here are pretty awesome!

got the exhaust welded up today, just needs a lick of paint. waiting for the piston and jug!

1" diameter, looking at a few other muff mods they have done the same. Yeah i reckon the hearing protection will need bumping up! hahaha

I agree with the statement from above there is no reason to window the piston it will just weaken the piston and believe me you do not want to have a piston come apart at 14,00 rpm showing off to your friends and the next thing you now bang and out comes the rod though the case. It will rev plenty quick and have tons of snot just ask Parrisw or Mastermind for some timing # that work for that combo I would ask Mastermind because he has been playing around with thoses Metror kits so he is the expert for this question. Set your squish and screaming you will be .

I agree with the statement from above there is no reason to window the piston it will just weaken the piston and believe me you do not want to have a piston come apart at 14,00 rpm showing off to your friends and the next thing you now bang and out comes the rod though the case. It will rev plenty quick and have tons of snot just ask Parrisw or Mastermind for some timing # that work for that combo I would ask Mastermind because he has been playing around with thoses Metror kits so he is the expert for this question. Set your squish and screaming you will be .

ok thanks for the advice on the windowing.. i guessed it might just be another thing to F**ck up. Parrisw has been great already but i shal seek further advice! thanks

parris can you give me the machining specs of your pop piston?also the timing numbers? or anything else i will need for saw like yours? if i could buy you a beer i would but i cant so this will have to do! :cheers:

parris can you give me the machining specs of your pop piston?also the timing numbers? or anything else i will need for saw like yours? if i could buy you a beer i would but i cant so this will have to do! :cheers:

You really need to do some measurements. But that one has a .030" popup, .020" squish. I think, 160* int and ex duration, 20* blowdown. It's all in the thread of that saw. I'll find the link.

Latest posts

Back