"Real" Lumberjack Helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbug1977

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey lumberjacks,

I have a question for you: do "real" lumberjacks use plastic or metal hard hats these days? My dad insists they all use metal hats. Thanks!

I guess it's up to you.
8457.jpg

According to OSHA, the metal hats are outlawed and you can get a $250 fine for wearing one on a state or federal job. "Hardcore" loggers still wear their tins and shoot half empty cans of tree marking paint at OSHA inspectors from a landing fire using an old piece of exhaust pipe.

Jacob, the true benefit of the metal caps is being able to make coffee when the weather comes in and the helicopter won't come up.

I wear my plastic one on some days. Days im in a real good mood ill grab my old aluiminum one. its comfy with the new headgear in it. its the one with the brim all the way around.

McDonald quit making the T hats 3+ years ago. I think they were around 35 bucks when they stopped selling them. Seen a nice one go for 76 on Ebay?? I scored a like new 8pt [suspension] tin hat at an auction last year for 1 dollar. No one else even bid on it.
McD with the 4 pt suspension are what most that I was around wore. The real "old timers" had a 6pt with a leather headband.

John

Latest posts

Back