Real Stihl 090?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legeance

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey sorry if these types of posts arent allowed I just want some input before I bid. To me this 090 looks real but in rough shape so if it runs, I'm happy. But is it a real 090 or a chinese clone? I asked him to send me better pictures that are up close but he hasn't replied yet but when he does I'll post them. Also, if you do believe this saw is real what on it is not original and what do you think its worth?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-090-c...080789?hash=item5b2bc0d195:g:knIAAOSwLF1X6zC7

Not saying I am for sure..... but that looks like genuine old scratched paint over aged magnesium to me.... seller also says made in Germany on the listing.

If it is a Chinese clone, you could return it with Ebay buyer protection because of false advertisement.

Not saying I am for sure..... but that looks like genuine old scratched paint over aged magnesium to me.... seller also says made in Germany on the listing.

If it is a Chinese clone, you could return it with Ebay buyer protection because of false advertisement.
Very true and the seller is reputable but I really don't feel like taking a chance with my money. And eBay does have buyer protection very true but if I can I would like to not have to use it :)

The seller has a good history and high feedback. Plus, if the seller has sold chainsaws before, and being out of Rainier, OR, I would think they could spot a clone.

These saws get cloned a bit still because they are still in use in places like east Asia and Australia than they are here and the aftermarket parts support is more relevant.

Looks like it may be a replacement bar cover, unless early ones didn't have Stihl cast into them like most.

Early 090's did not have Stihl embossed on the bar cover.
Muffler is not original.
Would have to see the clutch to know for sure if it's an 090 or 070.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would have to see the clutch to know for sure if it's an 090 or 070.

All that will tell you is if it has the 090 clutch or the 070 clutch it were sure as hell not ID the saw. There are 3 distinctive things recoil, bore and clutch

Oh by the way that is not a Chinese saw

All that will tell you is if it has the 090 clutch or the 070 clutch it were sure as hell not ID the saw. There are 3 distinctive things recoil, bore and clutch

Oh by the way that is not a Chinese saw

True but it's a clue. Good luck getting someone selling on EBay to measure the bore for you.

One sure fire way of telling an 090 from a 070 without removing the top cover and checking the orientation of the decomp lever is the transfer ports, the transfers on the 090 bulge all the way to the edge of the cooling fins. Not so on the 070, this is most evident and easiest to see on the right hand side of the saw.

The saw in question here appears to be an original early 090 Stihl fitted the a seven bend full wrap handle from a later 090, the muffler looks to be either a modified jungle muffler or from another early model Stihl.......The six shoe clutch can clearly be seen in the pics.
Stihl 090 070 cylinders 001.JPG

Back