Rear Mount or Front Mount Log Loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Dig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My Company has recently decided to purchase a full sized log truck to pick or wood. We are a Construction/Tree Removal Company that cuts on the road for the Towns and for HomeOwners. Should we get a Front Mount Loader (124 Prentice) or a Rear Mount unit.:rockn:

rear mount, more loading area, and reach (backing into debris). if your not storm chasing and dont need big CY space, dont go for big box, tuff to load under wires, ect.

I never really liked the solid side trucks anyway. They get beat to hell and are very heavy. We plan to put a solid floor in on our bunks and make it so we can slot rough cut in for sides if need be. I think you are right about the rear mount the only thing is I here that they ride ????ty. Also the sales man tells me that the tag axle should be down even when we are empty. That get the rubber off the tires quick.......

cant haul brush in bunks, and thats what we do 90% of the time.

I have never heard of leaving tag down all the time, wheel base must be wrong for wieght or sumthin, better double check that.

if your doing tree work and not logging, why do you need a triaxle? we have a tandem with a 22' box and hardly ever are we over wieght.

We probably dont need a tri axle for the trees our yard is close to our work, but also want to be able to make the long huals to. Sometimes we will pick up mafia blocks and dividers on a road job ETC. The GVW of the mid sized Tandams are around 50,000 pounds less the 30,000 pounds the truck weighs that leaves you only 10 ton payload. This dident seem like much to me. I think with full load we would be over weight. The worse part of all is I love trucks and these trucks are sweet!!!! T-800 Kenworths with 625 CAT Acerts for power with 18 road rangers.

The truck people probibly told him to leave the tag down all the time b/c there's a tipping hazard and frame problems with XL units sometimes.

Rear mounted. You will get more reach. Also I would go with a tandem axle with one lift axle.

:rock: Thanks for the input. We ordered the Rear Mount today. It should be ready in about one month. I will send some pics.

Thanks Again.

Joe Dig:rock:

My brother in law drove a pete with a 575 cat in it and a rear mount loader and had to keep the tag down just to stay in the seat. Rode like hell. I personally would put it behind cab, that is just that though my opinion. The one on the rear was for loading single axles on the landings. Also you may need a triaxle just for the weight rating. A think prentice 120 weighs in around 6000lbs. cuts alot out of your payload with a tandem axle.

Latest posts

Back