Reasonable price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just dropped off my big truck to be loaded up to the cab with green or very well seasoned hardwood logs. The truck is a 12ft bed with 5Ft standards and hes asking $150 for it to be loaded although he was drunk so it might be less when he's sober so is this a reasonable price:confused:.

I just dropped off my big truck to be loaded up to the cab with green or very well seasoned hardwood logs. The truck is a 12ft bed with 5Ft standards and hes asking $150 for it to be loaded although he was drunk so it might be less when he's sober so is this a reasonable price:confused:.

If you time this right with his sobriety,a case of beer may get you the whole enchalanta!:givebeer:

You didn't state the width of the truck but I'm assuming you can put 2 cord plus on it with 5 ft sides. If that is the case, then it is probably a decent deal, providing he dosn't wreck the truck in the process of loading due to inebriation issues.

Maplemeister::cheers:

The truck is 8ft wide and I am selling for roughly $65 a load hand thrown on a 8ft pickup bed.

Well, if your selling in the range of 200 per cord, and your getting 3 full cords on the truck, I would say that is an ok deal. Nothing I would brag about, but none the less an ok deal IMO.

Well I got my load it was only $75 :clap::cheers: I will post some pictures tomarrow of the load, it was all old well seasoned/slightly rotten.

Well I got my load it was only $75 :clap::cheers: I will post some pictures tomarrow of the load, it was all old well seasoned/slightly rotten.

Personally, from what I have learned here, there is no such thing as a "seasoned" log. I understand it that a log won't really season.

I just cut some logs today, that the loggers left behind 4 years ago. These are 30" diameter logs. Silver maple and Ash species. ( the silver maple could be beech, I guess. I have no idea).

These logs were only slightly dryer than if I had just cut them down.

Even though you got your load cheaper than you first thought, I would have been very unhappy with the punky/rotton logs. If I tried selling them, I wouldn't be selling much wood. People won't buy trash like that, unless they know no different.

Last edited:
Personally, from what I have learned here, there is no such thing as a "seasoned" log. I understand it that a log won't really season.

I just cut some logs today, that the loggers left behind 4 years ago. These are 30" diameter logs. Silver maple and Ash species. ( the silver maple could be beech, I guess. I have no idea).

These logs were only slightly dryer than if I had just cut them down.

With Oak,Maple,and most others I agree with you. This winter I have scored a ton of downed locust from as far back as hurricane floyd(99),and as recent as 2-3 yrs ago. Many times the locust will fall,and drop its own bark,thus allowing it to dry very well. I literalll took 5-6 locust trees,over 40-70ft tall,cut them to 3ft lengths,and threw them on the OWB.They didnt smoke at all,and were fully seasoned sitting off the ground hannging in the air by the limbs. There is a lot of downed dry locust here,its a pain to cut,often lots of prickers around them,but man does it burn good.

With Oak,Maple,and most others I agree with you. This winter I have scored a ton of downed locust from as far back as hurricane floyd(99),and as recent as 2-3 yrs ago. Many times the locust will fall,and drop its own bark,thus allowing it to dry very well. I literalll took 5-6 locust trees,over 40-70ft tall,cut them to 3ft lengths,and threw them on the OWB.They didnt smoke at all,and were fully seasoned sitting off the ground hannging in the air by the limbs. There is a lot of downed dry locust here,its a pain to cut,often lots of prickers around them,but man does it burn good.

Don't take what I said to mean the ONLY way to have seasoned, burnable wood, is to split and stack it.

I burn dead elm myself. Matter of fact, the only wood I like to burn in my add on woodstove. I can cut and burn the same day.

The only problem I have run into is, the bottom 4 foot or so of every tree is wetter. That 4 foot needs to season a month or two before burning.

Back