rec climbing not to many thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have got to start making plans now for the spring climb, with a rain date etc. Probably best to have permission for a large group climb, tough to go ninja with a bunch of guys carrying gear!

Any central Mass. or western Mass. climbers have any ideas about a location in your area for a rec climb? I think we're talking no more than a dozen climbers so 3+ good sized trees at the location would be good. Don't have to name exact location if you don't want to but if you have ideas let us know.
-moss

As Moss knows, having been there, I have quite a few big trees in the woods behind my house. I live in Northborough (in between Marlboro and Worcester) and would graciously host a rag tag bunch of tree climbers some weekend.

I don't own the woods, and so long as we don't fire up any chainsaws, then I think our only company would be curious neighbors.

Plus, all you guys can help me clear the dead limbs from these trees that keep crashing down on my kid's swing set. So far, no close calls with the limbs and the kids, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Plus, I have a little Petzl saddle for my kids (6, 4 and 2) and they love "climbing."

Cheers,

As Moss knows, having been there, I have quite a few big trees in the woods behind my house. I live in Northborough (in between Marlboro and Worcester) and would graciously host a rag tag bunch of tree climbers some weekend.

A generous offer Bob, I've been meaning to come out and visit even if I'm only one rag tag climber.

I'd also like to hear about some good climbers in other parts of the state. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here's a list of tall white pine in New England, average height of this group is in the 140's. Not too shabby.
-moss

You MA guys sure make me jealous. Not many rec. around here I guess.

Also I haven't forgot about you Andrew. I plan on making a trip on one of these days, but it sure is a long ride to do some climbing. Think it is a 5 hour ride but its worth it for the company. Maybe I can come up during on of your Saturday climbs and just find a hotel to stay over night so I don't have too long of a day.

You MA guys sure make me jealous. Not many rec. around here I guess.

Also I haven't forgot about you Andrew. I plan on making a trip on one of these days, but it sure is a long ride to do some climbing. Think it is a 5 hour ride but its worth it for the company. Maybe I can come up during on of your Saturday climbs and just find a hotel to stay over night so I don't have too long of a day.

If you find enough reason to get up to Mass. there's a guest room at my place. There are some good woods trees here and there. I'll be getting down to Jersey again this spring as well. There's a large tulip still waiting to be climbed.
-moss

I live in Boston and would like to get in on this.

I've been landscaping for about ten years and I want to expand my business to include tree cutting.

I just got a harness and a rope and I have been reading hte treeclimbers companion, but I think I need to learn from some more experienced climbers.

white pines

I like the idea of climbing one of these big boys. Have you ever been to any of them before moss?

I like the idea of climbing one of these big boys. Have you ever been to any of them before moss?

Nope. I've been climbing the tallest white pines I can find in eastern Mass., that gets me over 100 ft. but not too much more than that. I have no idea what the access is for the tall pines. Some of them are high-profile trees in state parks along frequently used trails. Not good candidates for rec climbs (park rangers wouldn't be happy).
-moss

challenge accepted!

Nope. I've been climbing the tallest white pines I can find in eastern Mass., that gets me over 100 ft. but not too much more than that. I have no idea what the access is for the tall pines. Some of them are high-profile trees in state parks along frequently used trails. Not good candidates for rec climbs (park rangers wouldn't be happy).
-moss

You knew bringing park rangers into it would get me going, right?:laugh:

I have a friend who has a place in the Berkshires who has gotten the climbing bug, maybe I can talk him into doing some scouting for us.

Zoo Mass

anyone in western MASS that wants to climb UMASS AMHERST campus has lots of great trees .... no one ever bothers me there.... i get some funny looks from the campus police from time to time but thats about it..... as for a large group of climbers i would probably have to get some sort authorization but i've been climbing with a group of about 8 and it was fine.

This sounds good! Keep the planning going. OTG there are some HUGE Oaks and Maples in Lynn Woods. We can pack a back pack and ride MTB's into the woods and find a location. I freeride mountain bike, so I am in the woods a lot. Also some sick cliff faces in there that top out 60-90' high.

This sounds good! Keep the planning going. OTG there are some HUGE Oaks and Maples in Lynn Woods. We can pack a back pack and ride MTB's into the woods and find a location. I freeride mountain bike, so I am in the woods a lot. Also some sick cliff faces in there that top out 60-90' high.

I like the Lynn Woods proposal. I have huge panniers and a single wheeled trailer on my bike for hauling climbing gear into the woods. It's a fun way to travel to a tree. I'm thinking this would be good for going into the Quabbin too if anyone knows of any good trees there as well ;)
-moss

Last edited:
I like the Lynn Woods proposal. I have huge panniers and a single wheeled trailer on my bike for hauling climbing gear into the woods. It's a fun way to travel to a tree. I'm thinking this would be good for going into the Quabbin too if anyone knows of any good trees there as well ;)
-moss

I am pretty simple when it comes to gear....I can strap it on my back/camelback. :D

As for the Quabbin, I grew up right around the corner from there. I am SURE there are lots of HUGE trees right in the parking lots. Just have to be quick about getting i them and then pulling the tails fot he ropes up........;)

I like the ideas. Are the Lynn woods the same as the Middlesex fells?

I do have a quabbin trip in mind but it will have to be somewhat exclusive/top secret.:laugh: stay tuned

I think the best way to go for the first outing is to find a place where we either have permission, or there is zero chance of having problems with an authority. So far Bobs place or Umass seem like good spots, although I think we would have to at least run the idea by Dennis if we are going to use Umass.

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves we should try to pin down a date that will work for the majority who are interested. There are five weekends in March but St. Paddys day is OUT for me (two DKM shows, so I may be recovering the following w/e too:rockn: ) Which leaves March 3, 10, 24,31.

Once we get rolling we can take turns hosting different climbs etc. Let me know what you think and we'll keep this plan rolling!

Lynn Woods and Middlesex Fells are two different places. Lynn Woods is a bit further north than the Fells, but the Fells is right off 93N heading out of Boston, so a bit easier to get to.

As far as stealth climbing, both places would be fine, but I think Lynn Woods is more accessible if we want to bike or back-pack our gear in. I seriously doubt we'd be hassled in either place. Lynn Woods is more popular because the paths are as smooth and wide as roads in some spots and there's ample parking. The Fells is more rugged with less parking and lots of rocky single track to get into the woods.

From what I can remember, both places have lots of large trees to climb.

I grew up rambling throughout the Middlesex Fells, it was my backyard and nature education. It is primarily rocky upland with thin peat soils and has been burned over repeatedly through its history so it's not great for growing big old tall trees. There are a couple of low pockets where something tallish can be found. This is true of many of the woods in eastern Mass. The land that wasn't easy to develop or good for farming (rocky uplands or swamps and bogs) is what remains as protected woods. The better chance for tall trees is in the lower wet areas except for wolf trees in overgrown homesteads, fields and former estates. I have some choice climbs in Blue Hills Res and other locations close to Boston. I'm sure something similar can be found in any of the other state lands in eastern Mass. but it needs to be scouted before a trip is planned. For any of these eastern Mass. spots we're talking about 4-5 climbers max to have a comfortable climb uninterrupted by authorities.

I've heard there are some tall white pine in Willowdale State Forest in Essex County, requires some scouting.
-moss

Hey Bull, can you look into this?

How about the dates I proposed, anything jump out at you guys?

Yes I will.

Any date is good with me just as long as there is ample notice.

The fells are OK but lynnwoods offers much more for climbing.

The side of Lynn woods that was mentioned is more of X-C trails(left side of the pond). The side I was thinking of is more hilly/cliffy and is way more technical than the fells. The fells is more single track where as the right side of Lynn woods is more freeride.

We can park at the Naked Fish and walk/ride in from there on the high lines, and then enter into Lynn woods. Or we can enter through the parking lot or a fe other locations.

There is a cemetery in Salem that has some HUGE trees. It is also an Arboretum of sorts and all the trees are marked in Scientific and Latin Names.

I will look into all of these.

Sounds good. So lets set the date at 3/24, rain date at 3/31. Location to be determined. All those in favor?...................

Latest posts

Back