rec climbing saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking to get a saddle soon and wanted to ask the wise folks at AS what they recommend. It would be primarily for recreation climbing, and I don't want to break the bank as it's only for a hobby right now. I have a climber friend that could show me the ropes. Thanks for your help, Roger.

I use a New Tribe saddle for work and rec. I have to say this is the most cumfy and lightweight saddle I've used. It's also very affordable.

I get enough climbing during the week, no need for me to be rec climbing, But the Ness saddle, or Navario should fit the bill. If ya wanna talk about shootin, then thats another story.

Kenn

Great gear is always worth it

If it's just for recreation, just use a rock climbing harness.

Here's a couple pics of 'industrial-duty rock-harnesses' crossing over into the aerial needs of our own. Petzl did a real nice job with these saddles.

A quantum leap better (in performance, versatility and comfort) would be one of these hybrid saddles, like the Petzl Navaho Miniboss And Navario (as I've recently heard it called). Beyond that are Pro-Model workhorses of many, many different colors.

Last edited:
TM, I'd have to disagree about the rock climbing harness. The design criteria are completely different, as the rock climbing ethos makes hanging in the saddle on rope something not to be done, and tree climbing goes the opposite way. Most of them are just are not very comfortable. And no side D's. Long ago I began tree climbing in a series of rock climbing harnesses...let me tell you, a good saddle beats them all to heck, and my Ness is da bomb!
But you won't fall out of the tree, and they are quite a bit cheaper, and are very light. So not all is baaaad ;) .

I'm a big fan of the old school. Bowline-on-a-bight! :) Safest set-up out there. If it's to snug, just add a 2x4 for comfort.

I agree, the rock climbing saddles kinda suck for trees, can you say "huevos cruncheros"

Kenn

For certain I am in agreement with you guys. Getting something substantial, like the NAVARIO, would allow you to use it rock-climbing, or vertical caving or really any aerial matter would be covered by the two examples from Petzl.

On the other hand, I would not really want to climb rock with my tree harness, nor would I wanna bounce a pit, traverse a glacier or ascend a barn, a bridge a silo or a building in my in my tree saddle. I think the VARIO would travel, pack, and go on vacation better than my tree harness. One of these crossover saddles could also be counted on in a rescue scenario.

I don't have a VARIO or a MINIBOSS, but I'm sorta talkin my own self into one :p .

OutOnaLimb said:
I agree, the rock climbing saddles kinda suck for trees, can you say "huevos cruncheros"

Kenn
I've worn the Yates wall harness in trees while working with another climber, it was quite comfortable actually, just not appropriate for saws etc. But for rec climbing that would be fine if a guy had a cush harness like that already.

If cost is a big concern, do go with a rock saddle. I started with that and it worked fine. Not great, but fine. No side dees, no cushy leg straps, no quick-adjust buckles, but it got me up and down safely.

One of two things will happen- you'll think you don't like tree climbing (hopefully not a result of using a sub-par saddle!) then you won't be bummed because you're only out 40 bucks for the harness you got, orrrrrr you'll like climbing a lot, hence you'll climb a lot, then feel the discomfort of the rock harness you'll quickly say, "hey, I gotta get me a nicer saddle. I better get on the phone with new tribe!"

It can be done, you won't die. You just might not like it all that much.

love
nick

Jumper said:
Maybe someone here has a used but serviceable saddle that might fit the bill?
What is your size?

I'm a 38 and shrinking right now. :D If anyone has any decent gear in my size feel free to PM me. The New Tribe stuff looks good, and reasonably priced too. Same for the Petzel saddles in the Sherrils catalog. I'm just not sure I want to get the starter set they have. I've seen lots of gear on ebay, but it seems you can get new stuff for just a few bucks more that hasn't been beat on. Thanks for all your input guys.

I have been thinking of the new tribe smoke jumper. I allready have the Versitile. It is super confortable, but kinda heavy for rec. climbing. The smoke jumper looks comfortable, and light weight.

A No-frills Weaver will get you into the tree, and carrying a saw. But to truly appreciate the abilities you innately have, your saddle should allow you the versatility to go beyond yourself.

I climb on a Buckingham Versatile, really like that saddle.

The saddle, regardless of make or manufacturer are not any more expensive from one another <i>in the real sense</i>. Given a saddle's longevity (could last a lifetime), once you spend the money, you never think about it again. All you think about is what this saddle will allow you to do, and what the benefit is to <u>you</u> as a climber, and how comfortable it is to you. That is all that becomes real.

For my next saddle I was going to go with Stumper's choice, a Butterfly.

But now you guys got me thinkin......

Last edited:
RBinVA,get a tree saddle. TM is right buckingham seems like quality gear too. im w/MB,though weaver is good stuff. and reasonably priced.when ever i climb i take all of the things in the pic w/me. all of these things are irreplaceable when im in the tree. get 150' of "the fly". learn the blakes hitch, the follow-through fig.8 (safety knot) and the bowline. all very easy. one more thing. dont use any thing but a solid,grade-10 steel biner for your lifeline. i know it sounds silly to some, but aluminum can develop hairline fractures.

Old wife's tale, Jason, and you haven't been married long enough to have an old wife ;) .
Anyway, what's a grade 10 biner? I am not familiar with that designation.

burnham, i worked for a "well-established treeservice" for the first couple years of my (commercial) tree-climbing career. this old wives tale was something i heard from the owner of that co. he insisted that aluminum clips, especially when smacked against something like steel or cement (who knows how/why something like that would ever happen) or after much heavy use over time, could develop cracks. he had these x-rays that showed it. he may have been full of hot air, but i just feel more comfy w/a solid steel clip. have always used one. im not sure if "grade10" is an actual/accurate designation for a certain type of steel/clip. its just the referecne ive picked up some where. is any of this sounding like anything other than baloney? i use aluminumones too, but not by themselves... :angel:

Back