Recommend a 70-80HP stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over time I have my own solution to the Grinding stumps. Self propelled 66 Hp RG super 50 has been perfect in everyway. Greenteeth with 1100 series tooth and I am convinced grinding is nice. I used to have the tow behind 30 hp unit and I hated grinding, i mean hated it! now it's amazing what used to take me 45 minutes now takes me 3-5 minutes and it's all gone! my budget was around 20 grand and I got a unit used that will most likely last me forever. A larger unit might be more $$ and squeeze past faster but ya have to think about it all, access in yards gates and all. comparing apples to apples you must. Test some out and get what you like, cause today I think it's more like ford or chevy, suzuki or Kawasaki... Alturnamats are the best!! Common sense will take you far! :msp_sneaky:

I heard about the Duetz engines over heating, and shutting down too often unless it's a bigger engine. Maybe that was a bad batch, and you have a good one.

They discontinued that RG Super 50. Do you have any idea why?

From what i was told Duetz didnt give Rayco the support they wanted or something so Rayco went with the Kubota engine which is taller , this is why the newer machines are taller. I have litterally ground ALL DAY and never had an issue or ever heard of anyone having an issue w these machines. And I dont think you can buy a bad machine today, Just get what YOU like.

I have both Carlton SP7015 and Vermeer SC352

When I bought my new Carlton SP 7015 66 HP, I did not sell my Vermeer SC352 35 HP diesel because I wasn't sure if there might be jobs where I would need it. I have yet to crank the Vermeer since buying my new machine and plan on selling it right away. Don't get me wrong ... I love that Vermeer. It is a money making beast. On the other hand, there is no comparing the two machines. The Carlton is, hands down, much, much, much more machine but you are looking at twice the money. I have never had an issue with taking the machine into anyone's yard. I have the wheeled unit. It is very heavy at 4,100 lbs. The Vermeer is around 1,700 lbs. I think. It took me about twenty five hours to really get the feel of the remote but it sure is great to have. The 352 sips one gallon of diesel per hour and the 7015 is almost double that. A stump that might have taken me 12 minutes before now takes 3 or 4 minutes. Good luck in your decision.

If you are in Pa our company is selling a carlton 7015 for sale pm me for details. Although a brand new smaller unit can do the trick if you don't need a huge cutting swath. Either way newer is better. Larger and a few years old is not necessarily a bad deal either.

BTL

If you are in Pa our company is selling a carlton 7015 for sale pm me for details. Although a brand new smaller unit can do the trick if you don't need a huge cutting swath. Either way newer is better. Larger and a few years old is not necessarily a bad deal either.

BTL

What kind of hours year and $$ are you looking for.

We picked up a rayco rg90 and love it. A stump that would take a day with the old 252 now takes 30-45 minutes. Its a beast.

Back