Recommend me a Log Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured I'd stick this in this active thread, vs starting a new one. However, this thread is one of the threads that helped me arrive at my decision. >:) I just want to make sure that some of my details might night sway the decision...
---------------------------------------
I'm looking for a bit of help choosing a wood splitter. According to Daryl, our Kuuma Vapor Fire 100 will be finished by the end of the month, and we'll be installing it in the downstairs area of our home. We are planning to be primarily wood heat for decades to come.

I am unfamiliar with the types of wood in our area...I'm located near the Lake of the Ozarks, in central MO. Oak, Hickory, Elm, etc would be my suspects. I've got a couple of trees down now that are approaching 36" rounds, so I want to plan on a machine that will split those. I don't plan on cutting stuff that I can't get down with my Stihl 028, w/ 18" bar (might put a 20" on it). However, that doesn't limit me much in my area. I do not yet know our needs, but I'll speculate it'll be 4-8 cord/year to heat our 4k square foot, walkout-basement home.

I've been reading for a while. I've looked at the kinetics (SuperSplit, RapidFire, RapidSplit, etc) as well as hydro units (Timberwolf, and the various box-store brands such as DHT, Troy Bilt, Ariens, etc). I don't think I want a kenetic, as 1) this is for residential use, so slower split time is fine 2) I likely couldn't make use of such a split time, 3) my young kids will likely be helping, and I view the slower hydro cycle time as safer, and 4) I'd be concerned about getting a piece of size/density that the kinetic can't split. I also have some longevity concerns with all but the SuperSplit, and it's out of my price range.

So, I'm looking at Hydro. The Timberwolf looks great..except for the price. I know, "if you're buying long-term, buy once, cry once". Still...I just can't justify the need for "Cadillac" of splitters, when an Impala will get the same thing accomplished, with much less expense.

I think I'm looking at box-store splitters (or that price range). I've come across good feedback about the DHT 28T and 35T units. I know the 35T has a slightly lower cycle time (and I understand the 28T is fast for it's niche), but I'd rather know I can split everything. I think I'd cuss myself if I stalled out the 28T, but likely won't cuss myself at the slightly slower 35T. As of this moment, the 35T DHT for $1799 is my current top pick.

I'm coming here to see if anyone has a strong reason why I SHOULDN'T go with that unit, or suggestions on why a different unit would be a better choice. It doesn't seem the DHT is of significantly higher quality than any other Chinese/box store unit, but their customer service appears to be top notch. That has swayed me towards DHT.

Suggestions, input, or advice (aside from "spend $5k on a splitter)?

For a great value look for a good homemade splitter (unless you do not have any mechanical ability). I am so glad I didn't get a box store splitter. One with a nice Honda GX motor will last a long time. I split about 50 cords a year and these type of splitters are awesome. Here is one I saw locally, mine is very similar. I think something like this can be had for $500-$700 if you are not in a rush. it doesn't have to have a paint job to be a great splitter. Just my opinion but I know I won't be buying a dirty hands anything.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/5234996223.html

homemade2.jpg

homemade1.jpg

For a great value look for a good homemade splitter (unless you do not have any mechanical ability). I am so glad I didn't get a box store splitter. One with a nice Honda GX motor will last a long time. I split about 50 cords a year and these type of splitters are awesome. Here is one I saw locally, mine is very similar. I think something like this can be had for $500-$700 if you are not in a rush. it doesn't have to have a paint job to be a great splitter. Just my opinion but I know I won't be buying a dirty hands anything.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/5234996223.html

View attachment 453683

View attachment 453684

How do you tell if a home made unit is a good unit, or a POS? I'm mechanically apt guy, but I know very little/nothing about hydraulic systems (or building a splitter). My concern is buying a turd, and then ending up with a manufactured unit anyway...I don't want to spend a lot of time on it.

How do you tell if a home made unit is a good unit, or a POS? I'm mechanically apt guy, but I know very little/nothing about hydraulic systems (or building a splitter). My concern is buying a turd, and then ending up with a manufactured unit anyway...I don't want to spend a lot of time on it.
One thing I always looked at, when I was looking, was advertised tonnage. To be frank, most exaggerate their tonnage output. A 5" bore at a full pressure of 3000psi amounts to 29.4 ton. I've seen units advertised 32 ton, 35 ton, 37 ton. Now the construction of the unit might be good, and well that's what you are looking for, but I had a hard time wanting to open my pocketbook to something that just wasn't there. I had a custom splitter built and between the builder and myself we agreed to leave the pressure low (2300-2400) and I've had some pieces get stuck, but I'd rather not stress the whole thing and tear it apart. Just have to choose better where to make that first split, and everything after that goes through like butter.

Just my $.02. I know there are some good ones out there, but good for one person isn't good for another person.

Bring a bunch of hard to split wood with you and split it. Check the cycle time to be sure your happy, look for leaks in the hydraulics, check all the fittings, check out the motor, if it's got a Honda GX motor and runs good, and doesn't smoke it's likely to be ok. you can do a compression test also. look in the tanks and make sure they look clean and free of water. I don't worry about the rating mine doesn't have one listed.

This is the one I bought last year for $500, I split 50 Cords of wood with it, just did regular maintenance.

2014-09-01 13_51_53.jpg

locomotive splitter1.jpg

Bring a bunch of hard to split wood with you and split it. Check the cycle time to be sure your happy, look for leaks in the hydraulics, check all the fittings, check out the motor, if it's got a Honda GX motor and runs good, and doesn't smoke it's likely to be ok. you can do a compression test also. look in the tanks and make sure they look clean and free of water. I don't worry about the rating mine doesn't have one listed.

This is the one I bought last year for $500, I split 50 Cords of wood with it, just did regular maintenance.

View attachment 453997

View attachment 454000
How does that wedge work? It's so thin compared to mine. It would appear that you would have to push the round so much farther before it comes apart.

sl4n41.jpg

It seems to work fine but I never used a fatter wedge. I like the Timber Wolf above but for now I have to use what I have.

Back