Recommend Shade Tree for diversity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
No, we don't have a race problem. :laugh:

My parents have a big yard full of trees. They have a few bur oaks, a few red maples, many silver (water) maples, a few Tulip Poplars, ginkgos, apples, pine, holy and dogwood.

One of their silver maples finally bit the dust and had to be taken out. This has left a hole on the western side of the house that needs to be filled.

They want a good sized shade tree that either has a nice spring or fall color. Seeing as how we have several trees of the same variety, we'd like to find something different.

We live in zone 7

Any thoughts?

No, we don't have a race problem. :laugh:

My parents have a big yard full of trees. They have a few bur oaks, a few red maples, many silver (water) maples, a few Tulip Poplars, ginkgos, apples, pine, holy and dogwood.

One of their silver maples finally bit the dust and had to be taken out. This has left a hole on the western side of the house that needs to be filled.

They want a good sized shade tree that either has a nice spring or fall color. Seeing as how we have several trees of the same variety, we'd like to find something different.

We live in zone 7

Any thoughts?
It would be neat to have one of those burr oaks in the yard. You wouldn't want to sit under it when the acorns are falling though.LOL I planted several different kind of oak trees several years ago in the yard and they are priceless for their shade. Sorry i can't help you on the selection, but some of these guys know trees like the back of their hand and they will know what's best.

Liriodendron tulipifera, fast shade, looks good, easy keeper (generally not real drought tolerant)

depending on your soil, i would suggest a pecan or walnut, if you dont mond cleaning the fruit. either one would fill that hole quite well. pecans like moister rich soil, the only time ive seen one on a hilltop it was grafted to a hickory.

Paulownia tomentosa (Royal Paulownia)....... Honest! tough tree, neat flowers in the spring, considered invasive by some folks (Connecticut I believe) and fast growing.

I don't think it is easily or readily available but it is certainly different. I heard some folks say it is weak wooded but have yet to see one with a broken leader or other major injury as the result of weather.

I think sweetgum may be considered a junk tree in your part of the country, but in many other locations (PA.) they're grown and sold as landscape trees. You may also want to consider zelkova which is a nice tree, but not especially fast growing and mature size is smaller than most maples. How about honeylocust?

Shumard oak and white oak both are great trees with really nice fall color. Shumard will grow a little faster and give you something from the red oak family.

Latest posts

Back