Recommendations for my new toy. Husqy 570

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralTJWillys

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, I'd been shopping for a bigger saw for a while now and finally went with a Husqvarna 570 that I found on ebay. Used with a 20" bar/chain. I'm planning on a compression check tomorrow, but, can anyone tell me what comp ratio these had new?

Second, I think I did pretty good paying $350 +shipping for this saw,considering retail on new is around $790, but what do any of you think?

Part of the reason I got a Husqvarna over a Stihl, is the fact that I have a factory authorized dealer nearer to me than I do a Stihl dealer, but I'd looked at MS361's and MS440's also.

Third, I'm planning on buying a 28" bar and need recommendations for brand, and why THAT brand over THIS brand, etc. I've seen 3/8" .050 and 3/8 .058. I'm still not familiar with the way chains are measured and what it all means. (Yeah, kind of a newbie here)
I've seen the Sugihara bars for sale. Anyone have any knowledge and input on these? Oregon? Husqy's bars? etc.

Last. What's the going rate for tuning a saw if I were to take it to the local dealer? I want to make sure it's going to last for a while.

I'm no pro, but I decided to buy a bit bigger than I thought I'd really just NEED, to make sure I wasn't going to be using it up too soon.
I just cut for my own firewood. Usually not overly large trees, but I like to be prepared and know I have enough saw for the task. I don't expect to cut trees over 28". I'm sure most of the time, I'll be using the 20" bar. Once that one is done for, I'll replace it with a 24"er.

My motto is usually, "better to have and not need, than to need and not have" (I work on cars a lot and not having a needed tool REALLY SUCKS).

So what ya'll think? And thanks in advance for any input, good or bad, I can take it.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the saw. I don't think the 570 is liked much by the crowd around here. I've never ran one but have seen them at the local dealer and they seem to be a decent saw. Not sure I'd run a 28" bar on that saw, 20"-24" seems to be optimal depending on the type of wood to be cut. As far as bars go, I'm pretty sure Oregon makes the Husky bars. Either one should be fine. I have no experience with Sugihara bars, but as I understand, they're good bars as well. 3/8 .50 I believe would be a fine chain choice. I guess the tuning price would depend on the dealer, I can't imagine it would be too much of an expense though. Just be sure to run good gas with good oil and the saw should last you a long time. Overall sounds like you've got a decent deal on a good saw. Go cut some wood and enjoy it!

Get a 28" bar and a full skip chain, a full skip chain will help your saw use it's power better with the longer bar. Brands are really is a toss up when you get that long, none of the cheap crap bars are that big...

Here is some info on chains: http://www.sawmillchainsaws.com/sawchains.htm

Either it will help you decide, or it will confuse you more....lol

For your setup, going with a 28" bar on the 570 I would go with 3/8 .050
the 3/8 (or .375) is the "length of the links. the .050 is the guage of the chain.( thichness of the drive links)

your sprocket must match the pitch ( .325 / .375 / .404)

and your bar groove must match the guage ( .050 /.058 .063)

Hope this helps............................

As far as bar brands, for firewood I would say whatever you can find the best deal on. Personally I run all Husqvarna bars on mine, because I have gotten them the cheapest when I needed to replace one.

All good information. I thank you all.

The Husqvarna website shows recommended bar length up to 32" for the 570, which is why I figured running a 28" max bar length wouldn't be too taxing on the saw. Like I stated, I probably wouldn't be running it very often anyway, as I'd stick to a 20"-24" bar most of the time. Their website advertises these particular saws as having their torque over a broader RPM range which, I figure is why they can recommend up to a 32" bar.

It seems to be a good saw on paper. I like that it has more torque lower in the range which seems to me, means It wouldn't fight as much if it's not held in the upper range while running through a big log.

I guess the other reason I looked at the 570 is because they DON'T seem to have a large following, which means the prices stay down while shopping on e-bay. :clap:

Well, as I use it, I'll report back and let you all know how she performs.

Thanks again for all the information. I like to make an informed decision, and this helps.:cheers:

I have a 570 and I like it. I use a 32" bar with semi skip chain and an 8 pin drive , it will work very well. I also have chains and bars 16, 20, 28, now will that 16 cut some wood.
I have to date opened up the muffler, removed the carb and removed the limiter caps.reinstalled the carb then tweaked it to the max by ear.
I have found that the extra pin and the torque range of this saw will use much less gas if you are careful of how you use the trigger.
good luck with the saw and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I have also thought of getting the muffler worked. Probably do that later.

I was browsing some of the threads and found folks talking about tuning and how manufacturers for a while placing limiter caps saying that the saw should never need further tuning. Many disagreed, as do I. (I'm assuming these are the same caps you're speaking of.)

Different geographocal locations and seasons require different states of tune, relative to air density, for optimal performance just the same as it would for optimal performance of a race car.

I cannot see not being able to tune the carb. It may be different if there were fuel injection, but carbs need tuned for top performance, it's just physics.:cheers:

As for anything less than a 20" chain....well that's why we buy more than one saw isn't it?:clap: I'm still debating on getting rid of my Mac 4600. I just need a new clutch now, as, RIGHT after replacing all fuel lines and primer bulb, and just as I was getting it final tuned, the clutch let go.

I'm debating whether I want to put any more money into this particular saw. It seems it's easier finding parts for my old Homelite 150 than it is for this Mac.

I'll keep my eyes open for a "right priced" 46-50 cc Husky or Stihl. At least I'd have local support for either if I should need something same day.:cheers:

Baileys had Carlton 24'' large mount Husky bars for a nice price in there last catalog.

Back