recommendations for splitting maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrench

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All,

What is your favorite splitting maul. I am looking for an upgrade of my generic 8 lb maul. I hand split 5 cord/yr of hard/soft firewood. Thanks.

Not to be glib, but anything with a handle. I got this one a year ago at a yard sale for $5 (the maul, not the wood pile).

attachment.php

I'd love to find a monster maul at a sale one of these days. Been on the lookout, but nada as yet.

Last edited:
'Anything with a handle' has been my attitude as well. But as my body is yielding to old age decrepitude, I am starting to wonder if I am working harder than I need to.

I am curious about the 'monster maul' type splitting tool and would like to hear of user's experiences with it.

The Gransfor Bruks splitting maul is available in the USA and that beauty is under consideration. Other than a beautifully made tool, does it work that much better than a well sharpened 5 dollar yard sale maul?

The Helko Vario that I recent read about on this forum is also under consideration.

Probably not and I guess at 7 1/2 LBS it's really just a sidestep from your current maul.

I have a lighter Fiskars one too that I use more often. It's easier to swing, but less effective.

Second hand stuff like this is not so easy to come by here in the UK.

fiskars

if not a small electric or cheap hyd. from northern than go with the fiskars once you get he different swing down pat they work very well and less tiring and easier on the joints than the heavier old fashioned mauls .

I'm 55 and still swinging to split most of my wood, it's faster and good exercise. I will use the splitter on the tough stuff as wisdom does come with age.

You could try a 6lb'er. I had been using an 8 until this 6. I find the 6 needs to be moving much faster to split the same as the 8. Probably gives me more splitting power but I'd have to try them back to back sometime...
The friskars must be another level of speed with the lighter head but I split on the ground and the short handle scares me. With a normal length handle I'd try it, as is I'd have to bend down to much to make the arc miss my feet.

indy

as you get older you will learn to split on a block(this gives a much better response to the forces that will split the wood .IE every action has an equal and opposite reaction) with a tire mounted on it, less bending over, I also use the Axe to pick up the rounds , just slap it into the end and lift it to the block then start to split. then remove the splits at waist height to what ever you use to transport them, much less bending over.

I split everything by hand. If a maul won't get it, I use a wedge, and if a wedge won't get it, I use a chainsaw. Most of the time I use a standard 6 lb. maul with a fiberglass handle. I don't even know what kind it is, but it has a pretty nicely shaped edge, not too thick right away. I've tried the monster maul and found that I couldn't develop enough speed to split difficult pieces. If it would start in the piece, great, you just have to let it drop, but otherwise it just bounces off. Gave it away. I also have a Helko Tomahawk. It is excellent on wood that is easy to split. Much easier to swing, and if the round is within its capability you get a nice crisp split that feels like a perfect 5-iron. If not, though, the maul bounces off with an unpleasant shock. I really wanted to like it because it was a birthday gift from my wife, and for a while I kept the Helko and my 6 lb. both at the woodpile, using the Helko until it bounced, then reaching for the standard. After a while I found it more efficient just to use the standard and have more pieces split the first time. I now keep the Tomahawk inside for splitting kindling down to hatchet size.

So, it's still a standard maul, splitting mostly oak and locust. I may try a Fiskars, but after the Tomahawk I'm a bit leery of anything that operates on the light weight/velocity principle. Kind of like bullets; if all you shoot is varmits, a .223 is perfect. But sometimes you need mass AND velocity, and at the moment I'd say a 6 lb. maul is about the right balance of the two for me. I'd also like to try a Stihl or Husqvarna maul, except for the price.

Jack

All,
What is your favorite splitting maul.Thanks.

Hi scrench ,

I got tired of replacing handles , :mad: so I took my well proven 6lb. maul
and welded a 36" x 1 1/2" pipe , I think sch-80 into the maul head and
ground it all smooth ... Then I took a can of expanding foam , added a long
length of hose that slipped over the hose on the can and filled the pipe from
the bottom on up , after it finished expanding and firmed up , I cut it flush
and screwed a cap on it , then I sprayed the whole thing with RUST-OLEUM
Anti-Slip gray , works great ... :cheers:

Later,x595

I split 30 cords last winter with a monster maul. I think it's a 15 pounder but I have never weighed it and I've had it for 20 years. Splits about anything with 1-2 wacks - most with 1 wack, but its a workout. You are supposed to let the weight of the maul do most of the splitting but I tend to use it like its a regular maul and put some muscle into the downward swing. I use wedges and a sledge on the stuff the the maul dosen't like, but it will handle most stuff easily.

All,

What is your favorite splitting maul. I am looking for an upgrade of my generic 8 lb maul. I hand split 5 cord/yr of hard/soft firewood. Thanks.

Read this thread, it's all about Fiskars Super Splitter, 243 posts......
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=81221&highlight=Fiskars

Fiskars (Finnish) Super splitter is different design and technology, soft steel that can be super sharp, extremely good head design splits very easy, light head, 4 1/4# give you high (double)head speed and and more splitting force, lifetime warranty on the whole axe, if you of some reason should run over it with a tank....half price than a Gränsfors maul, only 49$ plus change.....BTW Gränsfors (Swedish) Maul is a real BEAUTY, superb steel but will still not bring new design technology to the chopping block....splits better than a 15$ maul from Walmart but far from Fiskars Super Splitter...I am a pure breed Swede and should root for Gränsfors, but I just cant deny reality.....The Finn´s beat us (the Swedes) on that one.....I have three Fiskars now....and one Gränsfors...

The day they put a 36 inch handle on a Fiskars I'll buy one. Until then it is the 4# splitting axe, 8# maul, and 12# sledge and wedge for the real tough stuff.
That 26-27 inch handle is just stupid. More length means more speed and even with a block to split on sometimes you blow threw one clean miss the block and cut your foot off at the ankle. I'm a tall guy and I would like to see longer than 36 inch handles.

I bought the fiskars pro split and the super split. The pro split goes with me to the woods for driving wedges, the occasional split, and back scratching. The super stays at home on my 16" tall splittin block.
If the handle holds up as promised then it's an ok purchase at $39 and change.
If the handle does not hold up then it will not be an ok purchase.
The super split is an adequate maul but I have the same opinions as alot of guys. It's just not beefy enough. Put the same design with a longer handle and a couple more pounds head weight and I believe you'd have a great maul.
Menards sells a maul that I looked at with a red fiberglass handle and a head design like the one posted earlier "newagearbor".
I wish I had bought that one. With all the hype on here about the fiskars I went that route.
If ya wanna split smaller stuff, 12" or less on a splittin block then the fiskars would be ok. If ya wanna split bigger I'd go bigger.

I split 30 cords last winter with a monster maul.

:jawdrop: DUDE! My hat's off to ya! I don't mind splitting 5-7 cords with a maul, but if I had 30 cords to split, my big arse would be down at TSC scratching at the doors waiting for them to open so I could buy a hydraulic splitter.
Do you sell firewood, or just use a lot? I respect your endurance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back