Red ants around trunk wound -- good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have a young (6 years old) bur oak tree that we got too close to with the lawnmower. One side of the trunk got nailed pretty good, and we have a pretty good sized wound. I have been checking on it a lot lately, fearing fatal damage. The tree still looks good, but there are some large, red ants that are all over the wound and a few in the leaves.

Are these good ants, protecting the wound from bad bugs, or are these bad ants?

The ants on the leaves seemed to be shepherding some smaller bugs that were huddled together at the main vain of the leaf they were on. They didn't look like the aphids I have seen in pictures, but they could have been.

Thanks

yo, I like the bit about the ants rounding up insects, i reckon let them stay for the awesomeness factor. Im just guessing but to me it seems that the ants are just taking advantage of sap flow or something caused by the wound, if they want a feed why not let them, if you get rid of them something else will move in and that may end up being worse.

I'd probably mulch the drip line - get rid of the grass competition and the need to mow right up to the trunk in one go.

peace out.

Possible to post a pic or two?

Here you go...

Pic of the ants tending the little bugs. I can get you a better pic of just the little bugs if needed...

picturemain004gq5.jpg

Pics of the wound...

picturemain006eu7.jpg

picturemain005nk9.jpg

picturemain007kt9.jpg

looks like the tree is trying to compartmentalize the wound. and it very well may... this tree is young enought that it could grow back together... how old is the wound? these ants are just eating the bugs and maybe playing in the sap. i dont think they are an issue.

yeah because it's such a narrow vertical wound it should grow over in 2-4 years depending on the vigour, you'll get some more die-back above and below the wound but don't worry about it, callus tissue will start forming within the year from both sides and after several years it will be completely covered (not healed - just covered by new wood. To quote the late Alex Shigo: "each year a new tree grows over the old wood")

If the tree was older it would be more of an issue so keep those mowers clear of big trees!

peace out.

Presently I would not be too concerned.

The tree seems to be maintaining its health, and the ants are not harming the tree in any fashion demonstrated by the photos.

Looks like they are nursing the smaller insects on the leaves, and perhaps gathering some of the sap - not boring into the tree any...

I agree that it should compartmentalize within a few years...

Anyone else have any thoughts?

We have a young (6 years old) bur oak tree that we got too close to with the lawnmower. One side of the trunk got nailed pretty good, and we have a pretty good sized wound. I have been checking on it a lot lately, fearing fatal damage. The tree still looks good, but there are some large, red ants that are all over the wound and a few in the leaves.

Are these good ants, protecting the wound from bad bugs, or are these bad ants?

The ants on the leaves seemed to be shepherding some smaller bugs that were huddled together at the main vain of the leaf they were on. They didn't look like the aphids I have seen in pictures, but they could have been.

Thanks

Sounds like they are herding aphids

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-10/icl-ha100907.php

:monkey:

They don't look like the aphids I have seen pictures of. However, I'm no bug guy. Can someone ID these little black and white bugs? I can get better pics if needed. The wind was blowing a little bit and I couldn't get a clear shot.

If they are harmless, great. If they aren't, there are only a few of them that I can see, and it would be a good time to wipe them out.

white try posting some pics of the bugs in the plant health forum. those guys should be able to give you a name on the lil guys in the pic

looks like a lace bug of some sort. the ants are using the other bugs to produce dew for them which will have sugars i believe that the ants need.

Latest posts

Back