Red Cedar and Spalted Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daninvan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not my usual beach milling site unfortunately, an ugly heavy duty industrial site by the river.

Milled up two second growth western red cedars and just started on a spalted maple. Cutting 12' long and 3 1/4" thick. The logs are all quite tapered, widest one so far was 31", tapering down to about a foot. I'm about halfway through a pile of five logs. Then three more showed up today!

attachment.php

Using Granberg chain, I filed the raker angle at 7 degrees, it has been working well. I've touched up the chain up by hand several times and still seems good.

Dan

Nice work, your van would have had a bit of a workout with that load.

You are right - Especially since the van can handle about 8' and these were 12' long!

Petesoldsaw - Spanish Banks. There is an area where chainsawing is permitted.

I ran out of steam on the 19th slab on the fourth log on the third day. My two chainsaws were starting to act up, I was so pooped that I couldn't even stack the slabs anymore, I just pushed them out of the way.

attachment.php

I figured when lifting the mill to start the cut became a major physical challenge, that was a sign that I was done! I left several logs there, but was still very happy with what I got done.

I figure milling a bunch of big slabs is like giving birth, not that I know about birth from personal experience of course, but I've heard that after a while the pain and discomfort is forgotten and only the pleasant memories remain!

So I'll be resharpening and filing the rakers this weekend to 7.5 degrees, hoping to hit the beach next week for some more milling fun!

Wow looks like a lot of work. Good for you.

Question??

What difference is seen by adjusting the rakers by 1/2 of a degree?
(You stated that you have them at 7*, and were going to file them to 7.5*)

Nice haul on the slabs! What do you do with them after the cutting? You putting them in a kiln for drying or just a shed or something to air dry.... Cause with all the cutting you do, you must have a BIG stack 'o wood!!!!

Scott

Question??

What difference is seen by adjusting the rakers by 1/2 of a degree?
(You stated that you have them at 7*, and were going to file them to 7.5*)

Nice haul on the slabs! What do you do with them after the cutting? You putting them in a kiln for drying or just a shed or something to air dry.... Cause with all the cutting you do, you must have a BIG stack 'o wood!!!!

Scott

You should read this thread about Rakers.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=114624&highlight=progressive

Not my usual beach milling site unfortunately, an ugly heavy duty industrial site by the river.

Milled up two second growth western red cedars and just started on a spalted maple. Cutting 12' long and 3 1/4" thick. The logs are all quite tapered, widest one so far was 31", tapering down to about a foot. I'm about halfway through a pile of five logs. Then three more showed up today!

attachment.php

Using Granberg chain, I filed the raker angle at 7 degrees, it has been working well. I've touched up the chain up by hand several times and still seems good.

Dan

Talk about a dismal failure.

I cannot believe you did that.

All that work and you did not provide us with any scent.....

Fail.

Fail.

Send me the slabs to redeem yourself.

Kevin

Hey Dan, sorry for the dumb question but I don't recall reading any of your previous posts. These are washed up on the shore and you find and mill them?

Hi Lookin,

Most of what I normally mill are city trees that have come down due to storms, disease, new developments, etc. The city has a log dump that is by the beach that the crews take them to. Being on the beach, there are plenty of floaters there too, but most of them are too skinny to be of interest.

Dan

Hi Lookin,

Most of what I normally mill are city trees that have come down due to storms, disease, new developments, etc. The city has a log dump that is by the beach that the crews take them to. Being on the beach, there are plenty of floaters there too, but most of them are too skinny to be of interest.

Dan

Wow that is really cool, very considerate of them to bring them to a nice place for you to work...lol. This dump sight is a free for all or you have some kind of permit? Right now the city of Ottawa is taking down all the Ash trees and running them through a tub grinder in an attept to contain the Emerald Ash Borer. Seems like such a waste, good on your city.

Totally free. Only restriction is that it has to be done within the marked area. You can't just go cutting willy-nilly on the beach.

I can understand destroying the logs to prevent the spread of disease, but otherwise it's really a shame to grind up perfectly good logs.

Dan

Latest posts

Back