Red Elm vs. Siberian Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't always (or even often) agree with Mr Spider, but he really does know his elms and I think he's got this one exactly right.

The red vs siberian identification gets difficult when they are both present on the wood lot- like somebody else mentioned they hybridize and take on characteristics of each other. True siberian's have tiny leaves expecially earlier in the growing season, true red elm leaves are much larger and have a sandpaper feel. Siberian elms amost will always have a broken off limb or two and a lot of staining down the trunk from it. Red elms usually have the true elm "vase" shape where Siberians are less so - but lots of variables here depending on how much competetion in the wood lot. Both seem to be better firewood if you find them standing dead with the bark long gone. Wood color wise they are very similar green or standing dead. American elm wood color is Very different.

My opinion on the wood pics by the original poster - Siberian Elm.

Funny this post popped up. My neighbor is removing a bunch of wood from his father's place. Trailers full! He sent me a picture and asked me if I wanted a load. I had to refuse. I do not care for Siberian in my stove. I have been burning it in my campfire pit and make sure I don't get anywhere downwind as it stinks!
His text back after I refused was "Oh no, now I'm doubting my decision if you don't don't want any!'
LMAO I still have quite a few to cut down in my yard.

The USDA Forest Service has actually had the siberian elm listed as their Weed of the Week! What does that tell you. In the midwest siberian elm will usually rot in the rick before it will season if it's stacked outside. I would refuse on the spot if anyone tried to unload any of that crap at my place. IT IS TRASH! I would burn toilet paper rolls and pallets before I would siberian elm.

I'll burn anything...
Stack it in the shed and forget it for a while...
Sell the good stuff.. Burn the rest...

Yes...

I'm a firewood whore....

Though the limbs made good test logs for chains...
I wouldn't do that with the $$ wood...

I'll burn anything...
Stack it in the shed and forget it for a while...
Sell the good stuff.. Burn the rest...
Yes... I'm a firewood whore....

Though the limbs made good test logs for chains...
I wouldn't do that with the $$ wood...

Two things are nice about those Makita 6401 saws with a BBK. (1) They cut like bandits and (2) they don't seems to mind what kind of wood species that they cut. That includes elm. Whale of a sharp chain, Hack.

I'd also like to report to Red Elm Ridgerunner that this elm wood is all drying out nicely and seems to resemble your avatar Pic as it does so. No rot in this neck of the woods. The butterflies are also in love with the end grain, especially near the bark ring. I'll give it another month or so to dry before I start to split it. I also have moire of what appears to be the same stuff that I collected in November. It now splits beautifully and sheds its bark while doing so.

I think you'll be happy with this stuff, regardless of what name you want to call it (i'd call it Siberian) it splits nice when dried for a few months. We seem to have tons of it in central Nebraska, lots of it in yards and wind breaks around here. I have tried to split it when green and some of it is so stringy it almost shears instead of splitting. But I let it sit in rounds until the ends get checked and then its decent to work with it burns hot when seasoned. Its amazing how big these trees can get if left alone and missed by diseases. I helped on a tree job removing some monsters from a yard that had been planted in the early 1900's I was running an 880 with a 47" bar and it wasn't clear cutting when working on the stumps and trunks. The customer's daughter wanted a couple cookies to try and turn them into a patio table so I cut some about 20' up the trunk and could still bury the 32" bar on my 2100.

I've cut, split and burned some Siberian Elm in the past... mostly stuff the power company cut down along a right-of-way. In the round, or even split and stacked in a shady spot, it will rot relatively fast. But split and stacked in a sunny, breezy spot it will keep for 2-3 years or so. Do not stack it in triple rows... the center row will turn to something resembling a large hairball. I've never been able to find a reliable source for green moisture content... but it must be something 'round 100+% because it will lose ½ or more of it's weight during seasoning. It ain't as bad as willow or Basswood, but it does get pretty light-weight when dried... and it will shrink noticeably (stacks fall over). Like most any elm, it will shed its bark early in the seasoning process; if you toss the bark, rather than burn it, the offensive "stink" is greatly reduced... as is the ash left behind. With any "green-cut" elm I prefer to wait for the bark to release before splitting, allowing me to stack bark-free splits. It lacks the excellent coaling properties of American Elm and burns somewhat faster, but, if well seasoned, it does throw a decent amount of heat during that short(er) burn time... it won't leave you with a hot pile of coals to wake-up to in the morning. Burned before fully seasoned it is miserable stuff... smokey, stinky, and little heat.

I don't believe I'd rate it as low as crap or trash... I'd burn it before I'd burn Box Elder, or even Basswood, willow and the like.

Latest posts

Back