Red oak - cut to length a year ago but not split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRThomas

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
I use to dry wood the old time way I spent a little money those old days are a kiln is the only way to go I can cook the water out of hard wood in days I only do Ash so its hours. I just put a cord in of Ash it will be down under 15 percent at noon tomorrow at noon.

066blaster

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Today I split some bigger red oak rounds cut 2 years ago, still as wet or wetter as the day I cut it. No rot. But wet even 10 inch diameter stuff was soaked.

mr.finn

mr.finn

ArboristSite Guru
I had a little experiment the other day similar to this. Had 4-5 Hemlock logs taken from a tree that blew over 2 1/2 years ago in the winter. Cut them into 8-10 footers and brought them home. Was bored the other day and finally cut and split them up(mostly firepit wood) Pretty much all of it was wet. Took a couple reading with MM got 19-23% readings, higher reading was on splits closest to middle.

NSMaple1

NSMaple1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use to dry wood the old time way I spent a little money those old days are a kiln is the only way to go I can cook the water out of hard wood in days I only do Ash so its hours. I just put a cord in of Ash it will be down under 15 percent at noon tomorrow at noon.

You should make a show & tell thread on your kiln.

CRThomas

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
A lady in Australia this spelled wrong but any way she built one like mine but she uses he scraps off her splitting she does not have NG gas she emailed me it works like a charm.

fj40

ArboristSite Lurker
Etc, I just finished up C/S/S some red oak for next year. Even though its been down for a few years it still has it's fare share of moisture. However if you give some time to dry out from the rain and being on the ground for an extended time it should be ready for next year.

Attachments

• log 1.JPG
    log 1.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 18
  • splits.JPG
    splits.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 22
  • rounds 2.JPG
    rounds 2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 17
CRThomas

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
I sell Ash my main money trash wood I just split and dump on the ground if people want to buy it a pickup truck load for $35.00 as is you load and pay in cash. My Ash I do it daily one 4' by 8' buy 16" dried and bundled read to deliver I treat my Ash like spoiled kids

Fred Wright

Fred Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup, if left out in the weather red oak will go punky in the round before it dries.

Dropped a pin oak last year, it had a couple of big dead limbs that snapped off when the tree fell. Figuring those limbs were rotted junk, I left 'em where they lay.

That was until they were in my road. Had to load out rounds on the other side and couldn't get the little tractor through. So I cut the dead limbs into lengths to get 'em out of the way.

They were punky around the outside, maybe an inch but the insides were solid. Cut 'em into 16" rounds and loaded out with the rest. Come time to split they were still soaking wet, water was squeezing out on the splitter.