Red Oak Logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My friend is clearing almost 80 acres of "mostly" Christmas trees. He had the guys doing the clearing leave the hardwoods and put them at the edge of the field. It's very steep where the tractor is parked, and i had to pull the tree's down hill before sawing out the logs and picking them up.

picture.JPG

I bought all of the tree's after all of the firewood had been cut off them. Once on site, i measured and sawed out all of the logs. I guess i like "orange" as my tractor is "orange", my chainsaw is "orange" (Husky 268XP) and they both match my "orange" sawmill...

picture.JPG

Once that was done, i carried them to my trailor. Here's a great "shagbark hickory" on the forks. It was the only tree that was still standing and had to be cut down. I got two nice logs out of the tree.

picture.JPG

Here's a look at the first trailor load. I loaded the crooked tops to be sawn for firewood.

picture.JPG

And here's the second load. These are sawn to 8' 6" and 10' 6".

picture.JPG

As you can see i "Anchorsealed" the higher grade logs as soon as i got them home. (except a couple i had to trim first)

Rob

Nice haul, thanks for those pics Rob. What ya going to do with that hickory wood, any plans how you're going to slice it? Got any pics of your mill in action too?

Sawyer Rob said:
I once saw a custom kitchen done in hickory, it sure was beautiful!!
Rob I sell things from my woodshop at shows, and I find all most people know about other than pine, and thus all they ask for is "oak, cherry or walnut". I can make something out of ash, or hickory, or elm, and it looks beautiful, nice grain patterns. However, it's not oak... and to many people something made from ash just isn't quite as valuable as one made from oak, even though most folks couldn't tell the difference between the two woods side by side. I'm not complaining, it's the nature of the business.

Sawyer Rob said:
I'm going to saw the hickory into 4/4 lumber, and try to get "best" grade possible. I don't have any plans for it, other than to get it on stickers.... (same with the red oak)

I once saw a custom kitchen done in hickory, it sure was beautiful!!

Rob

Rob, I agree. I did my sister's kitchen floor in hickory. Has nice color and grain. Went real nice with the sassafrass cabinets. She'll never wear it out. I'll try to post a photo.

"Rob, I agree. I did my sister's kitchen floor in hickory. Has nice color and grain. Went real nice with the sassafrass cabinets. She'll never wear it out. I'll try to post a photo."

Please do, i have never seen sassafrass finished lumber and am curious.
RD

My brother found a couple sassafrass logs and sawed them on the bandmill he built. He didn't offer to "share" any of it with me though!!
picture.GIF
Anyway, i haven't really tried to get a sassafrass, "yet".

I'll take some picts when i saw the hickory, but right now "haying" has started and the weather has been pretty nice.. You know the old saying, you have to make hay when the sun shines!!
picture.GIF

Rob

Sassafras is a nice wood to work. Machines easily, doesn't burn too quickly like maple, cherry or hard birch will. I've made bread boards out of it, and also custom picture frames. It's a greenish to greyish brown wood, beautiful grain patterns if you cut it flatsawn. Pleasant spicy smell when you run it through machines, but not as pleasant as say aromatic cedar (eastern redcedar).

Hope im not off topic but i'm wondering whats the biggest sassafrass tree you guys have seen. I've cut 2 here in NC and to me they were like redwoods compared to most sassafrass ive seen they were about 20 inch dbh but most i've seen are 4 inch dbh.

B-Edwards said:
Hope im not off topic but i'm wondering whats the biggest sassafrass tree you guys have seen. I've cut 2 here in NC and to me they were like redwoods compared to most sassafras ive seen they were about 20 inch dbh but most i've seen are 4 inch dbh.
There is a lot of small scrub sassafras trees in the Appalachians up in this area (PA) also, but in the right circumstances, not uncommon to find plenty of 10-15 inch dbh sassafras mixed in with the maples, oaks and birches of similar size in a mixed hardwood forest. In the woods with competition they grow pretty tall and strait. They remind me of ash trees.

Latest posts

Back