reducing owb chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read posts on reducing a say 8 inch chimney on an owb to say a 6inch or even 4 inch. Just wondering if anyone has done this recently and seen any less wood consumption? im thinking of installing a damper in my chimney and playing with it to see if it helps.

Emission reduction

As a result of careful calculations performed by the Air Quality Control Board (AQCB) the optimum size for a large wood boiler would be 7/8 of a inch.

This will reduce the emissions to practically zero! Never mind the relative efficiency of the heater has also been reduced to zero. The quality of air is far more important than your comfort level.

Further research and testing has shown that with the addition of a 15HP compressor that the exhaust can be launched into the low stratosphere. At that elevation it seems unlikely to cause much concern for many years. We do recommend that a silencer be installed. Perhaps it is possible to get a glass packed muffler (cherry bomb?) modified to the right size.

-Pat :jester:

I would think that restricting the outlet will do two things. 1) It will make no difference when the furnace is in the smolder mode, as there is little air flow through the furnace. 2) In the burn mode it will not let the smoke out and will restrict the efficiency of the fire and the OWB will take longer to get up to temperature.

I would think that if the smaller flue is better - then the manufacturer of the OWB would use the smaller pipe. I can't imagine they would use larger and more expensive pipe if the smaller size is better?

Back