reforesting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilze

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My in-laws have tillable acreage on a floodplain that is not intensively used, except for cattle grazing. If this land were forested, it would be ideal for the growth of the morel mushroom. Morels are incredibly popular and valuble in my state and region. It is relatively easy to culture morels in the labratory and take it outside to inoculate a forest. Morels are not pathogenic or parasitic, but instead saprophytic and possibly even mycorhizzal. I would like to talk my in-laws into replanting the tillable so that morels can be "farmed" there. Black Cherry is a floodplain tree and very valuable timber. Black cherry is also associated with morel mushrooms in the wild. Morels would supply spring time income every yearwhile the forest matures and then the trees will be selectively harvested and replanted.
I guess what I am here asking, is what kind of help does the government offer for taking tillable land out of production. It seems every locale has a soil conservation program, and the best way I can think of to preserve topsoil is to reforest it. I know a long time ago the government used to pay out for simply planting windbreaks, but I see so many of them have been removed for that precious easement on the edge of a field.

Latest posts

Back