Regency wood insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
first year burning wood in my new regency insert and I notice it builds up with a lot of un burned coals in the bottom of the insert. I always have to clean it out every few days but I get more coals then I do ash when I clean it. What causes this and I also notice when I burn hickory wood versus maple,locust, or cherry that its worse on coal build up. thanks..

I don't know about inserts, but I can get that will my stove. When coals start to build up, I will add one or two pieces at a time and burn it hot. This seems to help reduce the coals and still produces a lot of heat. Adding too much wood too often really builds coals.

first year burning wood in my new regency insert and I notice it builds up with a lot of un burned coals in the bottom of the insert. I always have to clean it out every few days but I get more coals then I do ash when I clean it. What causes this and I also notice when I burn hickory wood versus maple,locust, or cherry that its worse on coal build up. thanks..

What type of regency insert? I use the I3100 which has been great...coals usually mean you need to run it hotter....500* leaves little coals, and if you shut it down overnight that can happen as well....just run it hotter for a few hours, and it turns into ash powder.....burning 24/7 I can go 3 to 4 days without removing ash..... any black soot on the window? wipes off with a wet towel (when stove is cooled off), and the heat burns off the soot....

Great stove BTW....I heat 2k plus sqft mid 80's temps and up to 10 hr burns (the morning is a nice red ash bed and about 300-350 degree heat still...add logs and its off an running again...

This is my first year with my Jotul and what I'm finding is that it likes smaller splits than I have prepared. In order to get a 500+ deg fire, I have to split most of my wood in half. Otherwise it runs 350-400 wide open and I get a lot of coaling and ash as well as lower heat output. This is with a mix of 1 y/o oak/hickory/suger maple. Next year my supply will have been split for one year and under shelter for an additional year. Hopefully that will help.

This cold snap has been an experience in learning out how to get the most heat out of it. Sometime before next heating season, I will buy the factory fan for it.

Ian

Ive got a regency warm hearth fireplace(stove). I do get alot of coals too. Ive got it built into a hearth lined with rock so I cant get pipe temps. When burning, I get it to a gasification burn. From what I understand, gasification process does not start till 575 degree's. If I do a one hot burn with small pieces of wood in the morning. I can burn most of the coals down to ash. Ive found that if I burn two types of wood, such as pinon and juniper. I get a better gasification burn for a longer time vs. using just one type of wood.

Last edited:
EPA rated stoves are NOT your father's stove. You MUST use well seasoned wood! Excessive coaling appears to be the number 1 complaint. (For me also) In my old Russo, I could practically cut down a tree & throw it in the stove. Not anymore.

I've got two year old locust I call the wood from hell. It was cut, split & stacked under a lean-to over two years ago. If I leave it drying next to the stove for a day, it will burn nice & hot. Especially if I pop the bark off. The coals though are worse than an ex-wife. They never go away.

What I do is try & make a tunnel in the center of the coals. Divert all the air from the secondary tubes to the coals. (As the wood turned to coals you should already have done this) Then I use locust (the best) or oak bark to bridge the tunnel. That creates a mini blast furnace that gets the coals white hot while the bark does not create a bunch of new coals.

Regardless of species I have noticed a direct correlation of coal build up to how dry the wood is.
Good Luck
Al

Latest posts

Back