reliable, fixed location small bandsaw suggestions!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeguy883

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am interested in milling logs from my removals. I own a small tree care company in the centre of Canada (Winnipeg) and find too much waste going to firewood. I want to be able to be productive during rain days during the summer. I need a small mill to get started, but don't know what brand, size, etc. Our stock here doesn't normally go beyond 30" DBH. Any suggestions, or brain discharge greatly appreciated! Thx!

Hi Treeguy: Take a good look at the Norwood LM2000. this mill is designed for your type needs.

If you go to the Norwood site you can see lots of comments, user pics etc.
www.norwoodindustries.com then find the "town hall forum" EPA

I have a spokene mini mill, MSG Industries is link if you google it. No more than the mass produced mills but made better in my opinion. Small mom n pop type shop. I have been very happy with mine.

www.taschmid.com

I don't own one, but I seriously considering their larger mill. I have researched a lot of mills & the Schmid has great reviews & a resonable price.

RD

I'm considering a timberking or woodmizer because of the extensive dealer network. Mostly for parts, service and support. I would love to help a little guy, but with Winnipeg so remote, bigger may be better. I'd also like to find a used one in the $4000 to $8000 US range, but that might be a bit optomistic.

Are you going to buy in the US? The dang exchange rate for y'all is up a little to .81cents on the dollar....still a long way away from par this summer. If you are towing something thru the border & it looks used, I wonder if they will notice & want the dreaded..."Doooty".

RD

Believe it or not the exchange rate is worth it. There is little to no selection here in Canada. Winnipeg is also in the center of the "Prairies", so most mills are either on the west or east coast (24-36 hours driving either way). From what I have learned on Duty, there is little to no duty on used merch. I would have to pay the dreaded GST (Goods and Services Tax, 7%) upon return. That would be deducted anyway, because it would theoretically be for my business. All that said, yes, I would purchase one in the states:)

Take a look at the Sawmill Exchange They have a mill in Michigan for $5500
item 10973 EPA

No PST on used??

We leave Fri for Minnedosa MB(wife's home town) for a visit. I'd be happy to pick something up on the way fo ya, as long as I didn't get spanked at Peace Garden.
I miscalculated on the beer a couple of years ago & had to pay $16 "doooty" for a case of High Life that originally cost me $13. But I was way over on shotgun shells & he showed mercy....:cheers:

RD

When it comes to manual mills, the Norwood Lumbermate is the most mill for the least money spent... It's perfect for what you want to do, and the Norwood company stands behind there product as good or better than any other brand...

Rob

Thanks for the offer, Motor! I still haven't decided on a mill or even whether or not I should take the plunge. I'm doing a little market research to see if there is a market for our sad hardwoods. I will also look closer at the Norwood as well, Rob. Thanks for the posts guys!

I'm looking for a bandmill myself, and am seriously considering the Norwood. The customer service person that I spoke to today was very helpful, and the pricing is attractive.

My thought was to go with the 15hp Kohler to get electric start vs the base 13hp Honda recoil start. When I asked about the difference in price to step up to the 20hp Honda, I was told it wasn't recommended due to problems, and that the 23hp B&S was being offered at the same price.

Norwood is made in Canada, so it would seem to me the pricing should be better for Canadians to buy north of the border.

Personally, i'd take the 13 Honda over the 15 Kohler... It's a much simpler design, starts VERY easily, and cuts just as fast. It doesn't need electric start... And the money saved can be used for things that really are usfull...

When it comes to a bigger motor, i agree, get the Vanguard 23.... It's a very good motor, but you really don't need the extra power for personal use...

Rob

Back