removing broken ring from piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_beard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so, ive got half a ring stuck in its groove in a 288 piston, whats the easiest way to get it out without damaging the piston? it seems to be pretty glued in with carbon...

thanky

ok, since nobody else replied i'll throw in my .02 cents..
soak it in laquer thinner, it'll eat awy at the carbon and should loosten it up for ya...
if ya don't have access to that try mineral spirits..
or stop by a body shop and ask em for a splash.
hope that helps

Maybe a shot of carb cleaner? It's a little stronger nonpolar solvent than just mineral spirits.

Remember...if you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

You can heat the piston to about 180 degrees Fahrenheit, then shoot some penetrating oil on the piston. Let cool then heat again and cool.

Up to you dude, but faced with that sort of ring failure i would junk the piston to be on the safe side.

If none of the above work, hang it in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour. The ring will probably fall out on it's own after awhile.

so, ive got half a ring stuck in its groove in a 288 piston, whats the easiest way to get it out without damaging the piston? it seems to be pretty glued in with carbon...

thanky

When do you need to get the saw running? Is this a project? Is this a saw that you earn your living with?

If it's just a project I'd take my time and let it soak in one of the many fluids mentioned above and take your time with it.

Are you sure the ring stuck because of carbon buildup? Or did the saw get run without oil and scored the piston and aluminum get transferred into the ring groves and holding the ring in?

Dan

Back