Rented a BilJax Self-Propelled 45' lift....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Rented it 2 days....

On the first day we had some large dead limbs in 5 pin oaks and rather than dig up some shrubs and take down the fence I thought we would rent this machine and see what all the fuss is about. We could have gotten my bucket in the yard but I wanted to try this out.

It takes some time to get used to but it we managed.....

There was much pucker factor fully extended at 45'....cutting and 8" limb about 25' long.

The controls are very cumbersome and not as responsive....you had to push a button then use the joystick...the buttons let you choose the function.

We used the machine for a couple of removals yesterday and again...much pucker factor at full extension.

I like the way we could get into some tight spots and the low ground pressure was nice. Seems like a useful tool if you can make it work out on the money side.

$321 for rental of the machine plus about $75-$100 in labor and fuel to pick up and return the machine.

Be nice to have one as a secondary to a bucket truck but not sure how anyone could use one to support a tree business...I really like 65' working height and need about 75' most of the time to feel better.

I really like 65' working height and need about 75' most of the time to feel better.

There in lies the rub of most small SP lifts, 55-65 ft working height is optimal for general tree work, too short and you take too many risks, have to climb out or do not complete the job. Much taller and the boom gets in the way.

SP lifts are great for general treework when you are fine pruning and hazard deadwooding large properties. Especially when you can tagteam with a climber.

IMO the bigger lifts work well only for removals, for the most part. They need too much working room to be cost effective.

much pucker factor .... doesn't sound good...:chainsaw:

There was much pucker factor fully extended at 45'....cutting and 8" limb about 25' long.

The controls are very cumbersome and not as responsive....

Pucker factor

Pucker Factor is mostly driven by our experience with a situation. What was the weight rating on the machine you were in, and were you really stretching it's limits?

Think back to how you felt the first time you let go of a limb and swung over the side on your rope? I have been in many different PF situations, only to eventually become unconcerned, even careless with the passage of time. PF seems to be based more on the emotional perception of danger than it is to the logical presentation of a real hazard.

For example, how many of us experience PF every time we get in the car and go to work? Or in the truck on the way to a tree job?

According to OSHA, truck driving is more hazardous than tree work. Who would think it?

We use one in our Manchester office. It works well in that area. However it doesn't have the reach required in our Muscatine office. We have a Nifty Lift there for a back yard lift. Harder to level but a platform height of 50 ft. and more outreach bigger boom structure, and easier to operate. All hydraulic no computer and diesel as apposed to gas. Billjax is lighter however and I prefer it on a golf course to the nifty.

the bil-jax is an ok machine at best if you like one movement at a time and loud squeak's this is your tool!!! the nifty is far better I think its easier to level you dont have to worry about a computer and bil-jax still has some kinks to work out, it has a time delay with the joystick reaction and if you forget to push a button the battery goes dead and leaves you high and dry.hands down nifty over the bil-jax any day!

My Genie tz50 works fine but, I'd really like to try out a jlg500. The controls look great. Anyone have experience with one?

the bil-jax is an ok machine at best if you like one movement at a time and loud squeak's this is your tool!!! the nifty is far better I think its easier to level you dont have to worry about a computer and bil-jax still has some kinks to work out, it has a time delay with the joystick reaction and if you forget to push a button the battery goes dead and leaves you high and dry.hands down nifty over the bil-jax any day!
Squeaks are due in most part to poor maintenance; try WD40 lube on the telescopic boom and check the plastic mounts for wear. I have a Bil-Jax 5533A but i'm considering moving over to a 4WD model for road pruning. Either option saves an old mans energy, they're great!

I use a size medium Ergo Lite Spartan, Yale Imory and 8mm Arbor Pruss. I find the controls to be very intuitive. Hardly any sqeeks. I have never used WD40. Once in a while I replace my prussik bearings and lube my conscience after work.

Back