Repainting bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmswilson1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have read many post about people repainting bars but I am still unsure of a good way to do so. Most of the guys ive read about were just saying ways they thought would work well, but could someone explain how they've personally done this successfully.

Thanks,
Matt

I have not personally repainted any, however knowing that powder coat is more durable then paint, Id bet it would be a dynamite way to do it. I would however be careful of the powder coat near the chain grove as it can be kinda thick.

i dont think i do anything to match a factory tough paint job in my garage.

powder coating might be as close as it could get

i stripped and painted this bar with krylon
GEDC1301.jpg

this is maybe 2 hours of cutting a few weeks after i painted it this was 4 coats of black
GEDC1308.jpg

after the paint started comeing off i decided a bar metla finish that will never come would be my best and cheapest finish.
GEDC1467.jpg

the nose looks difrend because i didnt sand it down as much i didnt want to sand it so much that the rivots holding the nose on could come out

There is no paint system that will last under normal cutting conditions on a chainsaw bar. The manufacturers paint will start coming off in only a couple of hours run time and show significant wear in 40 hours of use. Powder coat does last much longer but will get in the chain groove, can be cut back out but it takes the proper gear.
Pioneerguy600

stihl paint is tough stuff.

after cutting 15 cords my bares barely show any wear.

stihl paint is tough stuff.

after cutting 15 cords my bares barely show any wear.

Wait until you cut 40+ cords of hardwood, the paint starts wearing back from the rails and continues toward the center of the bar. Stihl ES bars do have good paint but all of the bars show wear rather quickly. On a show saw a painted bar will last a long time. Polished steel looks better than scuffed up paint. IMO
Pioneerguy600

How warm does it get when powder coating? One source shows it could be 390 F. Will that affect the bar metal?

I'm painting a couple now with epoxy enamel appliance paint (according to the label). Seems pretty tough but as already said, all paint will wear off as you cut more.

Why would you want to waste time painting a bar? Just use the saw and forget about bar paint. Maybe if the saw is a collector I can see painting it, but thats about it.

Husqvarna bars have about the worst paint out there. Oregon bars (same thing) even have better paint. Windsor and Stihl have much better paint if it matters to you.

How warm does it get when powder coating? One source shows it could be 390 F. Will that affect the bar metal?

I'm painting a couple now with epoxy enamel appliance paint (according to the label). Seems pretty tough but as already said, all paint will wear off as you cut more.

buzz sawyer, what model Homie is that in your avitar? A 600 D
Pioneerguy600

Why would you want to waste time painting a bar? Just use the saw and forget about bar paint. Maybe if the saw is a collector I can see painting it, but thats about it.

I've got an MS290 with about 25 hours on it that I'll be selling on evilbay pretty soon. A $9 can of Stihl factory gray/white paint will increase the sale price by an easy $30-$50 over a beat-up bar. We laid the best side of the old bar across our scanner and scanned the "Stihl Farm Boss" words/logo, too, and my graphic artist wife cleaned that up and is cutting out a stencil so once the bar is painted with original Stihl paint, we'll tack on the stencil and paint with black and the bar will look brand new. I'll present it as a used bar, because it is, but this saw is so clean that a clean bar with new looking paint will definitely raise the price.

Time well spent for $30-$50 price increase? Maybe, maybe not. Depends.

I've got an MS290 with about 25 hours on it that I'll be selling on evilbay pretty soon. A $9 can of Stihl factory gray/white paint will increase the sale price by an easy $30-$50 over a beat-up bar. We laid the best side of the old bar across our scanner and scanned the "Stihl Farm Boss" words/logo, too, and my graphic artist wife cleaned that up and is cutting out a stencil so once the bar is painted with original Stihl paint, we'll tack on the stencil and paint with black and the bar will look brand new. I'll present it as a used bar, because it is, but this saw is so clean that a clean bar with new looking paint will definitely raise the price.

Time well spent for $30-$50 price increase? Maybe, maybe not. Depends.

Thats fine you are painting it for a sale, but you know it wont last two seconds in wood. My point was why bother painting a bar on a saw when you know it wont last and it provides zero benefit whatsoever

Last edited:
That is a real good job on that resto. I have a similar saw that I have not seen or heard of another like it, its a 663 Homie. that looks a lot like your saw, it has next to no run time on it and would make a good saw to do a resto on. It has a large oval decal on the fuel tank that the number 663 is found.
Pioneerguy600

My point was why bother painting a bar on a saw when you know it wont last and it provides zero benefit whatsoever

Then you should have made your point in your previous post. But you didn't do that. You called painting a bar a waste of time, and I merely pointed out one way in which it might not be a waste of time.

In my case, painting the bar will be a much more effective use of my time than continuing to post in this thread. :monkey:

That is a real good job on that resto. I have a similar saw that I have not seen or heard of another like it, its a 663 Homie. that looks a lot like your saw, it has next to no run time on it and would make a good saw to do a resto on. It has a large oval decal on the fuel tank that the number 663 is found.
Pioneerguy600

I'll PM my shipping address. LOL!

I paint bars cause it doesn't take a lot of time and I enjoy it. If it's a resto, I probably won't run it enough to damage the paint. The bar on that EZ will always look that good unless I really get hard up for a saw to use - and then I have a spare bar for it.
If I'm going to use the saw regularly, I probably won't paint it again. There are a lot worse things I could do to waste time. Besides, it's my time.

Then you should have made your point in your previous post. But you didn't do that. You called painting a bar a waste of time, and I merely pointed out one way in which it might not be a waste of time.

In my case, painting the bar will be a much more effective use of my time than continuing to post in this thread. :monkey:

Yeah you are right, why dont you go sniff some bar paint Mr. Sensitive. Cripes now I remember why I take six months off from this place every year

Back