Repair Manuals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, they aren't supposed to now, but many do..... Just like they aren't supposed to sell Stihl tools.. And for some reason both end up on ebay.. brand spanking new. Oh yes, also check Ebay ;)

The requested manuals are available electronically... and are widely distribuated, but just not "publicly".

You can buy them from your Stihl dealer... QUOTE]

Not doubting you, but this is a fact, yeh? Spent about $1500 one trip, and my dealer told me they were not allowed to sell manuals....

I asked my Stihl dealer about this, and she took a minute to call Stihl. The offical answer was that they "don't encourage" selling manuals to us mere mortal.

It seems to me that a good dealer would want users to have manuals and IPLs -- the more the customer knows, the easier for everyone. A crappy dealer might want to keep the customer in the dark.

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/info_catalog.html

"Illustrated parts lists, technical updates, and workshop manuals are not available to the general public. They are available only to authorized STIHL Servicing Dealers."

There are ways around this silly policy and a good dealer will help you.

Well...yeah! It kinda ticked me off, because I do use this dealer for parts, as well as new stuff. At the same time I also asked about purchasing the Stihl tool that is used to remove the plastic caps that limit carb adjustment. They looked at me like I was from outer space.

The mechanic can fix saws. I put up with his weirdness, and get what I want from him. The senior counter guy has been there a long time, and sometimes he also gets strange. I, at times, have to bite my tongue, to stay on decent terms with him. An example: I purchased a MS361. I asked to also purchase 4 sprocket rims. He gave me a strange look, and stated that he didn't know if he had 4 sprockets in stock, as they very seldom get purchased. His recommendation...a new sprocket every 20-25 chains:dizzy: He did find them, and I got them. They are not a small place. They do a lot of business and I suppose that they do most of their business with the average homeowner, that knows zilch bout' saws. I am by no means a fountain of knowledge on chainsaws, but I think they really get threatened when I say something that the average homeowner shouldn't, in their estimation, know about.

I would like to tell them to "stick it!",( have walked out on occasion, but only hurt myself), but am kinda stuck. I've got 4 pieces of Stihl machinery, and I like them. They, at 40+ miles away, are the nearest Stihl dealer. Actually they are the closest dealer of any kind. I do buy some after market stuff on the net, and really wish that at least all the "stuff" associated with the Stihl saws, were available on the net/mailorder. Shhh....I don't see anyone around me so I will wisper....Stihl dealers, please feel welcome to contact me, and get my business! So I guess I have one of those lousy dealers that get discussed here on occasion. I do not want to go to a different brand, so I put up with their crap, but do find it annoying.

I do thank all the donors of chainsaw info. on this site. The knowledge gleamed here has helped me a great deal.

I went looking for a repair manual for an 044. There are a few to be had on e-bay. So what's a good price? I certainly haven't a clue and if the dealer (haven't asked them yet) isn't selling them I have nothing to compare prices against. Is the "don't sell to the public" policy the same with Hq (again haven't checked with dealer)? I've got a 353 I wouldn't mind having a service manual for. With me it's nice to have those manuals around so as to help figure out where the left over parts go or that I need a special "ovate" bolt (learned a new word today, well it is new to me).

I went looking for a repair manual for an 044. There are a few to be had on e-bay. So what's a good price? I certainly haven't a clue and if the dealer (haven't asked them yet) isn't selling them I have nothing to compare prices against. Is the "don't sell to the public" policy the same with Hq (again haven't checked with dealer)? I've got a 353 I wouldn't mind having a service manual for. With me it's nice to have those manuals around so as to help figure out where the left over parts go or that I need a special "ovate" bolt (learned a new word today, well it is new to me).

Many of Husqvarna's manuals are available on their website. Sometimes you have to go to one other than the US one, but they are available online, through the UK Husky site I believe.

.... "Illustrated parts lists, technical updates, and workshop manuals are not available to the general public. They are available only to authorized STIHL Servicing Dealers."

There are ways around this silly policy and a good dealer will help you.

Silly is the word....:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :jester:

Many of Husqvarna's manuals are available on their website. Sometimes you have to go to one other than the US one, but they are available online, through the UK Husky site I believe.

Not totally sure, but I believe what you refer to is IPLs and user manuals, not workshop manuals.
The IPL library goes back to 1972 or so....:clap: :clap:

Here are some Husky workshop manuals, including the 353.

It was an ovate NUT, not bolt...;)

Remember, I skim and scan (ole Evelyn Wood). I recall something about a cover and a special "ovate" something. The word however locked in my brain. I was scratching my head as to how a "shaped like an egg" (Websters)) bolt worked. Makes sense if it's a nut.

SawTroll;Here are some Husky [URL="http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/content/husqvarna_workshop_manuals.htm" said:
workshop manuals[/URL], including the 353.

Great link. Thanks.

Back