Repairing Damaged Chain without breaker/spinner.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone have a decent setup or even had any success repairing chain by the use of grinder, file, hammer and punch? I don't have a breaker or spinner but I'm rather good at repairing mountainbike chain w/ those handtools....I know sawchain is a bit different but just curious if anyone does it the hard way like I'm going to try. I have a nice thick steel block w/ small holes drilled in it to allow the pin to be driven out carefully with a punch and hammer.

I'm suprised I haven't heard of anyone doing this. Maybe when I go to try it I'll realize why LOL.
-Chad

Don't own a breaker/spinner.

Use a file/grinder to carefully knock down the old rivets.

Punch them out into a block of softwood.

Assemble repair link.

Use a ball peen hammer and a flat top ball hitch (as the anvil, so to speak) to set the rivets. About 5 minutes.

Just a little care not to over peen the rivet's flange, so it matches factory. and doesn't start to bind the new kink.

Sometimes a couple of strikes with the flat face of the hammer, will expand the rivet shank to keep things together. Otherwise buy a pair of needle nose vice-grips to hold the assembly together to finish the peening.

Cost of tools -used:
file medium 1.00
medium ball peen 2.00
flat top ball hitch 3.00
needle nose v-grips 2.00
repair link 1.00

Down and dirty, but it's never failed .

Don't own a breaker/spinner.

Use a file/grinder to carefully knock down the old rivets.

Down and dirty, but it's never failed .

I don't think it's in the slightest way dirty. That's how my dad did it for many years.

My only suggestion is don't do it for the first time on your best chain find an old loop and practice a couple of joins first.

Cheers

Does anyone have a decent setup or even had any success repairing chain by the use of grinder, file, hammer and punch? I don't have a breaker or spinner but I'm rather good at repairing mountainbike chain w/ those handtools....I know sawchain is a bit different but just curious if anyone does it the hard way like I'm going to try. I have a nice thick steel block w/ small holes drilled in it to allow the pin to be driven out carefully with a punch and hammer.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of anyone doing this. Maybe when I go to try it I'll realize why LOL.
-Chad

I did it that way when I worked for the Forest Service. Later in the season we got a spinner and breaker. The main difference between bike chain and the cutter chain is you don't have the c-clip thing. You just have to set the rivets. It is't all that hard if you know how it is supposed to go. The spinner and breaker make it a bit easier but it ain't no thing but a chicken wing!

Last edited:
I don't think it's in the slightest way dirty. That's how my dad did it for many years.

My only suggestion is don't do it for the first time on your best chain find an old loop and practice a couple of joins first.

Cheers

,Yep, these guys got it right. Its easy and fast once you get it figured out.

The big thing that is different from working with a break/spinner is that you r working with the chain horizontal instead of vertical. What you need to work on is a solid workbench, but most especially a heavy thin piece of steel to work on. Something like an anvil will work but its hard to get all the chain at the same level and it will not lay flat if its not. I have a round plate that is 3/4''x 18" and it works perfect.

Good to hear your take on the question. Members like you guys make AS such a wonderful resource. Tommorow night will be my chain repair night. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks so much.
-Chad

I can remember repairing a couple of chains with a file, a ball-pien hammer, and the 2" ball on the bumper of my pickup.:)

Andy

Righton Redro. I'm gonna get down and dirty tommorow and fix up a few good chains w/ bad drive tangs.

DSC03222.jpg

Latest posts

Back