replacement engine on splitter??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesrgreat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wood splittter is 30+ years old and it has a 5 hp Briggs on it. The engine is simply worn out. I have looked/priced Briggs, and I have looked/priced a Subaru.
Anyone have any experience with the Subaru small engines? (I see DR is putting Subaru on their Rapid Fire splitter)
The warranty on the Briggs is 2 yrs. and the Subaru is 3 yrs. The Subaru is less money. Both have cast iron lined cylinder.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I would run the subaru.. I am sure it is just as good if not better than BnS..

Briggs is a North American brand but like so many other North American brands they are are often made in China, especially the smaller horse power models.

I was in a store the other day and after looking at many major USA brand tools and products I had a hard time finding items that were not made in China even when they had high US prices.

Treesgreat, I've got a lot of equipment powered by small engines on the farm, I've got a little generator with a Subaru that has been flawless. Stay away from the Honda GC engines, they are typically black and mainly plastic, I've had two fail on log splitters, both have dropped valves. They are just plain junk and don't deserve the Honda name. I've also had great luck with Robyn engines.
If your on a budget you cannot beat the little engines from Harbor Freight for the money, I pump water all summer long with a 2" water pump from a large spring pond, the two pumps will prolly average six hours a day, six days a week, I've replaced the engines with the HF engines and one is on it's second year and the other has a year on it. These things get minimal maint, the oil gets checked every time we fill them up and away they go, I believe they have a 6.5 hp on sale for 99.00 right now. For no more than most wood splitters run I wouldn't hesitate to use one of them. I have had excellent service out of mine. They are used at full load pumping 2" water lines for irrigation purposes, neither one uses a drop of oil. I just re-powered a log splitter with a 11 hp briggs, but already had it setting around or I would have went the HF route. They are almost identical clones on Honda's GX engines.

I failed to mention the engine that I have been looking at is the SP-170 in the Subaru on the small engine warehouse.com web site. What models do you have experience with?
Thanks.

I also have done well with the HF engines. My splitter had one on it when it got crackhead liberated about a month ago. Im sure whoever got it is impressed as well.

I was up in Wisconsin at a jobsite and passed by a Briggs and Straton factory, pretty big place. Looks like it could have been the foundry.

I have had great luck with the HF (harbor freight) greyhound engines, both a 6.5 on the splitter and a 13 on the simplicity. HF has replaced the greyhound line with the Predator line which get great reviews as well. I have a 212cc (6.5-7hp) on its way now for 106.99 shipped (let me know if you would like the coupon #). I plan on replacing a 5hp tecumseh on a snowblower. I have had a positive experience with the Briggs OHV, subaru, honda gx & robin side shaft engines as well. You just can touch any of those previously listed for 106.99, heck not even a well used one for that. I might make me sound lazy but I would rather removed a tecumseh and sell if for $20-50 dollars and replace it with a china clone than spend the time trouble shooting and searching for parts for a tecumseh. I know very unAmerican of me.

I have used HF as replacement engines on everything from rototilliers to go carts, the last one went on a sod cutter, as much as I hate to admit it they are a decent value. The 6.5's go on sale for $100, I can't rebuild a brigg's for $100!! I have gotten into the habit of buying one when they go on sale, it rarely sits for more than a couple months before I hang it on something.

So I guess now instead of "Greyhound" engines, HF has "Predator" engines. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Regarding the greyhounds or the predators, do they sound more like Briggs or do they have the quieter Honda sound?

Also, what about parts availability?

MESUPRA, I would like the info on the coupon pleeeze! Thanks, KD

So I guess now instead of "Greyhound" engines, HF has "Predator" engines. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Regarding the greyhounds or the predators, do they sound more like Briggs or do they have the quieter Honda sound?

Also, what about parts availability?

MESUPRA, I would like the info on the coupon pleeeze! Thanks, KD

I have no experience with the predators, but the greyhounds were honda clones. I personally have had real good luck with them. I assume the new predators are also honda clones.

The HF Greyhound engine is made by Lifan. These engines are still available thru other merchants under the Lifan name for around $150, which is still a good price for this engine. A quick google search will bring up vendors.

Kind of a shame HF no longer carries the engine. Since HF is known for putting on good sales.

The HF sound just like the Honda's, quiet, compared to the Briggs type engine, just got a flyer today the 6.5 hp predator is on sale from reg 179.99 on SALE for 99.99 coupon code 70599688,
You can't beat it for the money. It's a Honda clone, 212cc 6.5 hp overhead valve engine. If I needed to replace an engine I'd be on my way to HF.

Well, I am looking at a vertical engine to replace a briggs that is on my huskee 22 ton splitter.

It looks like the vertical is a 6 hp 173cc engine (did not find it in a 212cc). I also did not find torque ratings, but the current briggs is 6.75 ft lbs of torque. I suppose they are nearly the same and it will work. Thanks, KD

Back