replacement for Stihl multi-purpose grease - clutch drum needle bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royta

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
grew up near Yreka, CA and am now living in Morgan
Do I have to use the Stihl multi-purpose grease for my clutch drum needle bearing? I can't imagine there's anything special about the "Stihl" grease, but since I don't have any Stihl grease to compare with, I can't tell for sure if the stuff I have, or will buy, is safe.

What does everyone use for clutch drum needle bearings?

I've used gearlube before and it worked ok. I now use high pressure (red) grease and have had good luck with it ( it might even be synthetic grease but i'm not sure). I've never used Stihls stuff but i doubt it's anything to special.

It sounds like the Chevron red grease I use to lube the ball joints and tie rod ends on my Dodge CTD will suffice. It's kind of sticky and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any damage. It's not as sticky as wheel bearing grease, but you know what I mean.

Just a very light coat on the needles is all it takes, right?

i do just enough to coat the outside of the rollers and put about the same on the shaft. Not sure if thats the correct way but it seems to have worked good so far.

If you do not use Stihl grease, then use a full synthetic, or you will have nothing but trouble, I see it all the time............................................

I am daily replacing sprocket bearings because of that red crap, or that
lithium poop, but hey, it's a living...........................................................:givebeer:

wow, I did a smiley....................

Experience

If you do not use Stihl grease, then use a full synthetic, or you will have nothing but trouble, I see it all the time............................................

lithium poop, but hey, it's a living...........................................................:givebeer:

Would Mobil 1 grease fit the requirements as it is full synthetic and receives high praise on BITOG?

Thank you,

Steve

Lubriplate #930-2 high speed/temp, or #1200-2 multi purpose grease works super good on clutch drum bearings and bar tip bearings.

Nick

Newbie Question :newbie:

Do all clutch drums have bearings that need to be greased or just certain models?

I have a Stihl 032 that I've been fixing up and this thread made me think:
"Hmmm, that's something I havn't done yet. Do I need to?" :cheers:

I always use Bel-Ray salt water proof grease. It's never let me down. Available at most bike shops.

Ditto on the Lube!!!!

If you buy one tube of stihl grease it should theoretically last you forever:yoyo:

good job fish!!!!!

I grease mine usually once a week, but I put a lot of hard hours on my saw's.
Except for day's like today, when I'm waiting on equipment parts.
I don't remember what the manuals say, but I'd guess about every 25 or 30 hours of run time.

Andy

Back