Replacing Husqvarna 345

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Pro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I own a 345, 346xp, 359, and 372xp saws. The 345 was bumped to the cabin when I bought the 346xp. It's nice to have a saw at the cabin if I need one as I don't typically bring my pro saws unless we are planning to cut wood.

Recently we had a break in and my 345 is gone. I really liked that little saw for what it was. It started nice, cut well etc. Not an xp by any means, just solid.

So now it comes to replacement. Insurance is replacement value coverage, BUT the 345 is no longer produced. There are exact matching saws in the Husqvarna lineup. I will need to find a near match and submit to insurance. here are the specs:

345 is 45cc 3.0HP 10.3# I paid $299.99 back in 2007

445 is 46 cc 2.8 HP 10.8# $330 list price

543xp is 43 cc 2.95 HP and 9.92# $530 list price

The 445 is the logical closest replacement but down on HP and up on weight. The 543xp will probably be a stretch with the adjuster depending how smart he is. He may draw the line and tell me that I need to chip in the difference. I love my neat toys and the 543xp is intriguing, but the sensible side of me says just do the 445.

Looking for insight and feedback on either model and how they are doing out in the real world.

I should add that the plan is to add security cameras to the cabin so I can record and watch live from home so if there is a next time...

I'd recommend staying away from the plastic crankcase 445. You could probably get a split crankcase designed Dolmar or Makita in the 3 to 400 range. The 510 is a nice saw.

445.PNG

I think my 345 was plastic wasn't it? I forget as I focused more of my attention on my pro saws.

Yes, the 345 had a plastic crankcase which caused problems. Husky added a gasket to the cylinder on the 445 which might help, but I can't say. It's still plastic mated to aluminum. Your 345 was probably close to retirement unless you had tore it down and resealed it with Dirko.

Attachments

• 445 gasket.PNG
    445 gasket.PNG
    28.3 KB · Views: 9
In addition to that gasket the Husqvarna clamshells now have a metal insert molded into the plastic housing which forms the bottom cap on the engine.

In addition to that gasket the Husqvarna clamshells now have a metal insert molded into the plastic housing which forms the bottom cap on the engine.

I forgot about that. The IPL doesn't show that well. It should seal better than the 345.

I forgot about that. The IPL doesn't show that well. It should seal better than the 345.
Yeah, they don't show it at all really. I still think it's a dumber design than the Poulan approach with a separate cap.

I'd like to think the 545 is the replacement for the 345.
If you can get that past the assessor then you are on a win. It's below the pro range, and ends in 45.....

I have a 345 and a 445, the 445 isn't an improvement. It's close, but the 345 is a better saw.

The 545 is IMHO the successor to the 345. Built on the 550xp architecture like the 345 was built on the 346xp architecture (similar fuel system, most external parts swap,etc...)

Joe

The 545 is IMHO the successor to the 345. Built on the 550xp architecture like the 345 was built on the 346xp architecture (similar fuel system, most external parts swap,etc...)

Joe

345 is a plastic case like the 350. 353 is the past 545.

Well guys it looks like my dilemma is over. Just got the call that the Sherriff recovered the majority of my gear and the saw/case were part of it.

I was torn between replacing with something newer and "better" but think that it's better this way. I really liked the saw, it worked great for what it was used for and no capital outlay. A neighbor had the misfortune of replacing his generator and not getting his settlement tied up before the recovery so now he has 2 generators...

Latest posts

Back