Replacing my VC Encore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba3228

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All - I have been away from the forum for a while. I was wondering what is the latest greatest most efficient free standing cast stove out nowadays.

The refractory in this old girl is shot and I am not into putting the money into the project and rebuild.

I am pretty sure about a top loader again, it is just a nice way to re-feed and get things started. A unit that will heat 12 to 1500 sq ft should be fine although I would not be opposed to a larger but unit.

A 10-12 hour burn would also be a great feature.

Any ideas would be appreciated and welcome.

Bubba

IM000816.JPG

Thanks for your reply Sunfish, I was thinking about a Jotul. In your opinion what would a comparable model be? I know they are on the pricey side. Is there a new model out that seems to be a better value than another?

Your welcome. Not sure which model compares, but likely the Jøtul F 400 Castine is close. Quality cost money, can't go wrong with Jotul.

If you like top loaders check the Jotul F 50 TL Rangley
Its a big heavy son of a gun with over 84% efficiency.
Refractory looks like standard style bricks so if it ever needs replacement easy peasy.
I think it combines cast iron & steel construction.
Its big brother the F 55 Carrabassett has longer burn time but is only front load.

What are the new standards and who has set them? The EPA? Is this a nation wide thing or are local municipalities all separate?
It is a bit of both. The US EPA set new standards that take effect the first of the year but local jurisdictions always have the option of having tighter limits. The "new" standards match the limits that Washington state has had for many years.

Got the price from 2 different dealers and the Jotul f50 Rangely is about 2800 bucks with 250-300 old stove recovery program, must be some program Jotul is running to get rid of some of the old smoke dragons.

Hello All - I have been away from the forum for a while. I was wondering what is the latest greatest most efficient free standing cast stove out nowadays.

The refractory in this old girl is shot and I am not into putting the money into the project and rebuild.

I am pretty sure about a top loader again, it is just a nice way to re-feed and get things started. A unit that will heat 12 to 1500 sq ft should be fine although I would not be opposed to a larger but unit.

A 10-12 hour burn would also be a great feature.

Any ideas would be appreciated and welcome.

Bubba

View attachment 435538

Any of these three will heat your home nicely. If you have a well insulated house, you will probably only be loading once per day:

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-princess.html

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-ashford30.html

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-sirocco30.html

I'm not sure but Blaze King may have some summer incentives right now. I responded on another thread about the King model which (at that dealer) had a $500 discount. The models listed above would be several hundred dollars less:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too bad you don't live close to Hermiston Oregon. This dealer has a special right now on King and Princess models:

Home Maintenance Center
80397 Hwy 39 North
Hermiston, Oregon

541-567-7534 (ask for Ron)

King Classic model with black glass door (DOES NOT come with pedestal):
$2880.42
-500 discount
----------------
TTL $2380.42

King Ultra model with black glass door (comes with pedestal & heat shields):
$3195.60
-500 discount
----------------
TTL $2695.60

If you want the fans they are an additional $250.

I wish I could have gotten a deal like this last year when we bought our King Ultra. Those are excellent prices! Maybe you can take a road trip and bring one back home with you:).

Oh, and no sales tax in Oregon.

Back