replacing sprocket tip on bar...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
I've never attempted it before and I just got a bigger .404 Stihl bar and it needs a new sprocket tip put on.

1.) Do you just drill out the old rivets and hammer new ones in?

2.) How do I pick out the correct .404 sprocket tip for my Stihl bar?

I think the tips have a part number on them, at least the ones I have do (mostly Oregon and Cannon bars). They list a number for the bar and two numbers for the tips, one for 3/8 and one for .404.

Drill them out and hammer in the new ones, that simple, think most are one rivet now, older ones were three. The rivet should be in the kit. Just don't get overly heavy handed, you'll bend the tip.

Personally i like to grind the ends of the old rivets off them press them out with a pin punch or the like. Once youy have the new tip on just hammer the new rivets (3) flat. I like to use the round part on a Bell Pein hammer. seems to get it nice and flush. As for knowing what tip to get, ask your dealer, no easier way.

This should help you figure out which tip you need. You can ignore the asterisk - it just means the whole tip is the replaceable part, instead of just the roller teeth/sprocket - all .404 bars replace the whole tip.

attachment.php

When ordering the new tip, make sure to get rivets. Should be 3 unless 404 bars are different - been a while since I've seen one out here in the East. :msp_biggrin:

And yes, drilling the rivets and punching them is easier than just punching them but just punching them out works if you don't have a drill.

Ball pein hammer on a hard (metal) surface is the installation technique. Lots of medium-sized hits rather than like pounding in a nail.

So my only concern is actually getting the right tip at the moment. Tools are not a concern I can use the punch at my local shop b/c he lets me make my own chain anyway. Or I can drill and punch or just punch. I have chunk of rail road iron mounted to a very very very sturdy stand and bolted to the floor... and a plethora of ball peins to choose from.

My bar reads "Stihl Rollomatic 6" on it which i think is a predicessor to the Rollomatic ES??? The bar is 25in .404... Trying to get the wife to email me the bar number now, but i couldn't find anything besides .404 stamped on the tip.

Are all the 25in .404 bar tips the same? Looks like the 3003-650-2538 is the ticket!?!?!?!? Local shop said $40 so I'll be ordering online which would be pain to return if i got the wrong one.

Thanks for the help guys!

Also on a side note... My stihl dealer sold me 7/32in files for sharpening the chain (the chain is semi-chisel), and it seem like there is a little nub that I have to grind/file down to get the file in on the teeth to sharpn them. Is that common???

Last edited:
3002-008-9531 is my bar number... Will the 3003-650-2538 sprocket nose fit my bar? The 8 could be a 0,6, or 9... hard to read but think it might be a 0...

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back