Resistor and Non-Resistor spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does it make any difference if you use a Resistor or a Non-Resistor spark plug in your saws ?

Why does it make difference?

Resistance in the spark plug (or wires, or caps) does 2 things. First, by slowing the current flow it reduces EM static that can interfere with electronic ignitions. Second, the slower current flow extends the duration of the spark, ensuring the entire charge is ignited.

Call me dumb, been called worse. So I should run a resistor plug in my saws then? Echo 490's, Echo 400's and Maruyama MCV51 (rebranded Dolmar 5105).

Currently running NGK BPM8Y. Because of a warranty issue with Echo telling me the problem was the plug and this plug was the only plug I should run.

Call me dumb, been called worse. So I should run a resistor plug in my saws then? Echo 490's, Echo 400's and Maruyama MCV51 (rebranded Dolmar 5105).
The ignition system may have a resistor in the cap, or in the coil module already. More resistance is not better than the right resistance. In the absence of a solid reason to the contrary, I generally go with whatever the engineer who designed it calls for. Especially when it's still under warranty! ;)

I think most of my coil troubles were caused by non resistor plugs ,no bad coils since I changed , about a month ago . I will do stuff that works an not because it's popular .Doing a spark plug test right now .

non resistor plugs would likely cause interference with my handheld radio so they are out. i've always used BPMR7A or WSR6F. i had a few bunk bosches in a row last year so i just run NGK now.

Currently running NGK BPM8Y. Because of a warranty issue with Echo telling me the problem was the plug and this plug was the only plug I should run.
Here in Finland Echo dealers offer only NGK BPMR8Y if asking for new plug for Echo saw. Y in the end stands for " V-shaped center electrode" and the value of 8 being a bit colder than otherwise widely used BPMR7A.
And yes, i do believe that dealers will use any excuse to cop out from the hassle of warranty claims.

Link to ngk catalog ( european version ) http://personal.inet.fi/cool/finnrpm/NGK small_engines_2013-2014.pdf

RV

Motorcycle, cars have the resister build in the spark plug cap.

I just phoned NGK technical support with the following questions ...........Can I use a NGK spark plug part number BPM7A or 7321 in place of a BPMR7A or 4626 spark plug in my Husqvarna 262xp chainsaw? THE FEMALE TECH TOLD ME I COULD USE THE NON RESISTOR SPARK PLUG IN MY CHAINSAW. Can the non resistor spark plug hurt the ignition system on my chainsaw? THE TECH TOLD ME THE NON RESISTOR SPARK PLUG WOULD NOT HURT MY IGNITION SYSTEM. Do resistor type spark plugs just reduce radio waves produced by gasoline engines or is there more to it? THE TECH TOLD ME NON RESISTOR SPARK PLUGS PRODUCE RADIO WAVES. THE TECH STATED THE NON RESISTOR PLUGS SHOULD NOT BE USED ON FUEL INJECTED SYSTEMS OR COMPUTER CONTROLLED EQUIPMENT. Here is the phone number I used........... 1 877 473 6767 prompt #2

my dealer said resistor plugs keep the ignition module go longer than non resistor
on power cutters its a must, the coil will go out in weeks if non resistor plugs are used
i use resistor plugs almost on all my OPE

I resist this post--Run the plug homelite-lombard-mcculloch-deere-echo-stihl tells you to per specs. For fun go to Home depot-look in spark plug reference book --list all brands of saws from the beginning of time to present--stuff you never heard of but need to collect and restore-no plug problems here--David:drinkingcoffee: I like old saws--and bows-----

Latest posts

Back