Resources for a safe felling foundation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheFlow

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The forest schooled me last weekend. :dizzy: I learned a lot from doing a bunch of stuff wrong but would like to know more before I head back out again.

Anyone have recommendations for someone just learning? So far I've only cut one tree down but want to develop a safe and solid foundation for a lifetime of fun in the woods!

:greenchainsaw:

well I have done alot of that myself ant I have learned so much from this website it's crazy do you have ppe, felling wedges, do searches on things like how to fall trees with wedge proper face cut and post more questions if you need to know good luck keep your chain sharp and be CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!

look for logger training courses in your area. if not, contact a local logger or tree service and see if they will teach you. alot of what you need to know can be learned better hands on.

look for logger training courses in your area. if not, contact a local logger or tree service and see if they will teach you. alot of what you need to know can be learned better hands on.

i agree,hands on is the only way to learn...and unfortunately it is "the hard way"unless you can find someone to take you under their wing,a production faller preferably:cheers:

foundation

well, i was trying to be cool and post a link but it wont work. so just google bc fallers handbook and you'll get to a good resource for us rookies.
:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas guys! The local forest service issues firewood permits and I'm going to ask if they let volunteers come to help with thinning jobs. Good way to learn from some experienced folks, I'd think.

well, i was trying to be cool and post a link but it wont work. so just google bc fallers handbook and you'll get to a good resource for us rookies.
:)

Thanks! I couldn't get a link to work either Mike. My guess is they have something set up to not allow direct links to their site. It won't even let you direct link to the main pages above it! It is the first result that comes up on a google search though. :clap:

You need a job settin pukes .

That is the best place to start learning in the woods , settin chockers on a tower ....... If you will out work the next guy , and do it safely you will be started ....... Read the book Professional Timber Falling ,., A Procedural Approach . By D. Douglas Dent ....... Available from Bailey's ...
. Don,t get yourself killed !!!!!

Back