ReTreever quick fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The flexible end of my Retreever broke off, so I did this quick fix.
I attached a heavy gauge looped wire to the end, it's flexible and is stiffer than the original end.

I watched a guy I work with use one of those, he was really excited about getting it and it was much comic relief on the ground as the end seemed to become les and less stiff throughout his climb such that he'd try to snag a rope and the hook would just straighten out like a noodle

I used mine last week for the first time and the same thing happened, tip straightened out! Sure, its better than nothing but I'd prefer a fixed hook. The side-kick would make more sense with its fixed end. My.02 , HC

The stiff wire works great, it's much stronger that the original end. I picked up the wire from home depot. 6 ft cost about $2 and it has a solid copper wire.

I wouldn't want a fixed hook, if my tip hangs up on something it will eventually straighten out.

I have a retriever it works good for certain instances.I thought about wrapping the hook with duck tape to see if it would help.

I use mine mostly to retrieve the end of my pull line after I throw it out to the tip of a limb, so I can tie the line back on itself in a sliding bowline.
In a big removal with many leads it can save a lot of time.

Back