Retrenchment pruning: extra wounding optional

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
Reaction score
see the blog post below:
Where increasing habitat for saproxylic insects is the objective, extra wounding is specified. See slides 10-11 of this excellent presentation, as presented to the European Parliament. If the overriding objectives are tree structure and health, cuts would instead be kept small, and more dynamic mass conserved.

Despite traditionalist efforts in the US to confuse the subject, and discredit retrenchment pruning, it does NOT involve extra wounding that is not specified. It’s all in the objective. O and…how can we get the US Congress to take the time to hear about trees and their care?

http://www.historictreecare.com/veteran-tree-retrenchment-for-habitat/

It's perhaps worth noting that the link is authored by the OP

The link is at the OP's web site but the PDF belongs to Luke Fay.

It's good to see the perspective being promoted of appreciation for the various forms plants take in their struggle to exist into the future.

All to often spectacular specimens are removed because they don't take a perfect form.

Something I've come to appreciate over the years is the way a dead tree 'melts' down over time. If in non threatening location on my property I leave dead trees stand. The first year the twigs go, second year larger wood. Third, forth, etc. larger and larger wood goes revealing the inner structure and strength of the tree. Watching for these progressions adds interest to our wood walks. 'Oh look, that tree has finally fallen'. There must be a dozen dead trees in our area that I'm watching over time.

Injuring trees for habitat isn't something I'm into but I do see the value of it.

No doubt it is leading edge arboriculture and is going to become more important as the whole surface of the planet becomes shopping malls and developments.

Yes great work by Luke and TEP. Spectacular specimens should indeed be saved; lots of options.

Senescence, misidentified as 'decline', can be a graceful 1/3 of a tree's life, if it's managed with care.

Latest posts

Back