Revenge of the Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ratzenfraggerfritzenjammer...

Broke the oil flippy cap on my 360 when I filled it this morning. Seemed secured.

Got a 20" red oak that forked 5' up down (used every wedge I had to make sure it went where I wanted because each fork was 12"+)

Then a 12" Boxelder.

Then a 8" Red maple.

Then the flippy cap let go.

Sunday, none of the dealers are open...just checked :D

The 390 needs an oiler thingy installed, which I bought but can't figure out where I put the part.

Oh well, looks like I'll go back to the woodlot and see what I can buck up with the 024AV...I really wanted to spend the morning dropping trees.

I had one of the flippy caps break on my POS MS250 the last time I tried to use it. Fortunately the local Ace Hardware is also a Stihl dealer and they are open on Sunday. At least the saw is fixed if I ever decide to use it again.

Flippy caps were one of the reasons I ended up buying the 346XP over the Stihl 261.

Besides, one would be forever berated by Saw Troll for not buying the saw that makes life on this earth just better.:msp_wink:

I keep one xtra in the saw box, just because I've got several saws that use them. Never had to use one though.

That 024 should have no issues falling those lil pecker poles.

Just don't take that 346 and try whoopin on a 261, flippy caps and all it is superior in all aspects to the 346, I run both. Troll hadn't even seen a 261 in person less operate one, he's just a hater, can't stand that his queen has been surpassed by German engineering.
My 346 sits more and more, I think I'm going to have to drop the coin to trade it so the crew will actually have a saw they will use.

Keep Spares

I have several caps in the parts stash in the basement for the MS200T, Kombi-Motor and BR600. I'm pretty sure the Kombi and BR600 use the same cap.

There is always a spare set of caps, oil and mix, in my field bag. It's just like carrying a scrench and wedges, don't leave home without it.

Dalmation90, if you're ever stuck on a Sunday or Saturday and no dealers are open, drop me a PM, I can't be too far away and always have spares.

Take Care

Thanks for the offer Swamp Yankee...hopefully they'll never be a situation for it. I can always hit up my neighbor for his 044 ... he can't turn me down since his entire wood processing area sits rent free on my land :msp_biggrin:

So, the Red Oak with the Box Elder sitting on top of it (the Red Maples to the left if you look closely). Measured 54 rings on the oak, surprised me a little bit but I guess that's about right, the land was pasture up until around 1950. I was expecting it to be more like 60 to 70. I do have some "middle age" pasture oaks up in there.

P3200240_small.jpg

The 024 earned it's keep. Three full gas tanks plus a little. Had my least favorite chain I own on it, some sort of safety chain.

Both clumps of grove of ratty Red Maples in the background, left side I had been planning to take down today before I was done in by a flippy cap.
P3200243_small.jpg

P3200246_small.jpg

Two loads this size, plus one smaller load, to collect everything in the pics above. I'm figuring when it's split, I'll be close but not over 3/4 cord that I hauled down to my house today.
P3200247_small.jpg

Last edited:
Nice haul, thank is an excellent size of wood. That size is about our favorite for fast production. It's so much easier than wrestling around the big stuff. That's why we focus on cutting tops.
Sorry but I'll have to have a little more for the 346, it's only 14 months old or so/ been through 1.5 wood seasons, but I'm afraid it is going on to a new home, it is/was a great little saw, it'll make someone a good one. Going to replace it with either another 261 or a good clean 361 if I can find one.

OK, I'll be the one to ask, what the hell is a flippy cap???????:dizzy:
I have a husky and my oil cap threads on. and the only other saw I've ever owned was a Jonsered and that cap screwed on too.

when I first read the op, i thought it was something on a ford 360 motor...LOL

Last edited:
I had one break today one my br600 backpack blower. I absolutely hate them. I have heard several reasons one being that the company got sued for burn from the gas leaking. Second the EPA regulations. I have the F250 brush cutter and it has the screw on cap and it works perfectly fine.

Stihl's answer to a problem that did not exist. They call them toolless because they "flip" and twist to open. Believe me you are not missing anything by not having them. I have had them break myself, always at an inopertune time. Been using power equipment for 40+ years, never EVER had a problem with a twist on cap. Have had 3 flippys fail in the last 3 years.

I personally hate the flippy caps, but it's not that bad of a price to pay for running the best brand of power equipment on the planet.

Even with the old screw in caps there are issues. Everyone we have hired for the firewood crew has had at least one azz chewing for taking a sqrench and over tightening the caps. I have had to take a big slot screwdriver with vice grips clamped on before to get the gas cap off the 660 resulting in a split cap. I tell them and tell them finger tight is good enough. With either style cap I make everyone brush off the saw dust with a paint brush before they fill them.

I personally hate the flippy caps, but it's not that bad of a price to pay for running the best brand of power equipment on the planet.

Even with the old screw in caps there are issues. Everyone we have hired for the firewood crew has had at least one azz chewing for taking a sqrench and over tightening the caps. I have had to take a big slot screwdriver with vice grips clamped on before to get the gas cap off the 660 resulting in a split cap. I tell them and tell them finger tight is good enough. With either style cap I make everyone brush off the saw dust with a paint brush before they fill them.

Hardly the fault of the cap that someone uses a scrench and overtightens them. Maybe they should have taken the slot out of them instead of inventing what in the opinion of many is a square wheel.

:heart::heart::heart:Flippy Caps.

You F.C. bigots have got to get a life. :hmm3grin2orange: Hey, the cap, any cap breaks in the field, whittle a bung ( you do know a bung, don't you ? ) to tap into the tiny hole for a temp fix.

Used the F.C.'s for years with NO problems.

Been said before: better than silicone.:msp_wub:

JMNSHO

Just don't take that 346 and try whoopin on a 261, flippy caps and all it is superior in all aspects to the 346, I run both.

I've run both and although the 261 is a fine saw, there is NO way it is superior in all aspects to the 346. I have the choice and I grab my 346 every time. If I want something heavier, I'll grab the 2171. If you only want 1 saw and don't cut anything too big, the 261 could be a choice.

Two loads this size, plus one smaller load, to collect everything in the pics above. I'm figuring when it's split, I'll be close but not over 3/4 cord that I hauled down to my house today.
P3200247_small.jpg
[/QUOTE]

going to splain the "slight" dent in the tailgate??:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back