reviving crank seals???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is there a way or product that has been tried that will soften up old crank seals? I have run in to a couple of leaky seals on old saws that parts are really hard to find. Seals seem intact(not cracked), just stiff and dry from years of sitting. Could they be immersed in a solution to make them a little more pliable? I understand that this isn't the right way to do the job, but for a collector who just wants to get the saw running for occasional use, is there any hope??

crane

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
dt6266

dt6266

ArboristSite Operative
i beleive most of these additives contain some kind of chemical that actually softens up the seal and makes it swell up, but it also makes the seal mushey as all hell and it fails after a short time anyway, kinda like what ethanol based fuel is doing to a lot of fuel lines.

Modifiedmark
I just take my old seals into the local Auto parts store. He measures the ID/OD and gets me what I need. Never had a problem.

Yep I have too, but there are some oddball sizes that are not standard listings. The real thin one on a 306a I just ran across for example they couldnt come up with and the industrial brg supply house couldnt either.

bama

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Karlstad, MN---Where the earth meets the sky.
Yep I have too, but there are some oddball sizes that are not standard listings. The real thin one on a 306a I just ran across for example they couldnt come up with and the industrial brg supply house couldnt either.

Bummer. Hopefully, I don't run into the same thing in the future.